Board logo

What is the best gloss paint, for wishbones, rollbar's?
steve m - 6/11/10 at 08:22 PM

I would like a decent finish on the rollbar, and all four wishbones, and have tried various types of rattle can spray paints, that seem to look good for a while, but then degrade, loose the shine , peel etc etc
ive tried the following
hammerite = shite, cracks peels, and is awfull
Halfrauds black gloss rattle cans, seem to lack any paint !!

What i am looking for is more down the enamel/hard wearing type, but still a rattle can

So, what do you guys think is the best ??

Regards

Steve

RichardK - 6/11/10 at 08:26 PM

I like the plasticote range, seems pretty good and give a similar look to powder.

Cheers Rich

Ben_Copeland - 6/11/10 at 08:26 PM

Have you tried putting clear coat over it afterwards?

steve m - 6/11/10 at 08:30 PM

Thanks,

a couple of idea's Plasticote, what ever that is !!, and a clear cote/laquer

regards

Steve

Mark Allanson - 6/11/10 at 08:32 PM

Use a gloss roller to apply a good single pack high build primer, wet flat with 600g, brush paint with Japlac with a VERY good quality brush - you will never use a rattle can again.

pekwah1 - 6/11/10 at 08:34 PM

i've always used crappy halfords paints.
I tend to use the satin black over primer as it gives an easy even finish, and once lacquered has a good shine. Has lasted pretty well on the components i've painted over the years....

RichardK - 6/11/10 at 09:13 PM

Its the brand mate, here is an example of it on the bay PLASTI-KOTE GLOSS NEW YELLOW SUPER SPRAY PAINT 400ML on eBay (end time 16-Dec-10 15:22:24 GMT)

Cheers

Rich

trextr7monkey - 6/11/10 at 09:25 PM

Rustoleum metal paint (from Leyland trade paint places) applied with roller or decent brush in a warm workshop on to primed metal.

big_wasa - 6/11/10 at 09:28 PM

This is said to be very tough when dry. I will try it for my next project.

chris taylor - 6/11/10 at 09:52 PM

Steve, another vote for Plasticote, used it on several kits over the years, gives a really gloss finish and it hearwearing, it covers really well also and you can re-coat in approx 15 mins.

My sons currently rebuilding his MK and I have just painted his wishbones/rollbar etc in Gloss Black and they look superb.

Wilkinsons sell it, approx £5.00 for a large aerosol in loads of different colours,

cheers,

Chris

procomp - 9/11/10 at 08:01 PM

Hi

Used HYCOTE Gloss black double acrylic on a set of wheels for racing. results where very good and are still in very good condition now after two seasons of racing.
Comes in 150ml shake n rattle cans. Although for wishbones my preference would be satin / matt finish.

Cheers Matt