Board logo

hardtop?
mandy69 - 22/8/04 at 06:45 PM

Hi again,
Silly question i suppose but does anyone know if there is such a thing as a hardtop for a seven rather than using a soft top?

Thanks

fastenuff - 22/8/04 at 06:59 PM

try this link forviews of some : oldthread kind of says it all
how talll areyou, as in "will you be able to get in"

but then again it might be practical

Viper - 22/8/04 at 06:59 PM

I have seen one, it looked like roof on fred flinstones car, not sure if it was a production item or a home made job...
Tim

niceperson709 - 22/8/04 at 08:35 PM

west field did one
best wishes Rescued attachment hardtop.jpg
Rescued attachment hardtop.jpg

niceperson709 - 22/8/04 at 08:36 PM

west field did one
best wishes
iain Rescued attachment hardtop.jpg
Rescued attachment hardtop.jpg

derf - 23/8/04 at 12:39 PM

some guy from the netherlands made a hardtop, looks beautiful. took me a while to find through google.

pbura - 23/8/04 at 12:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by derf
some guy from the netherlands made a hardtop, looks beautiful. took me a while to find through google.

Yes, Erwin Dekkers, and he did a hell of a nice job on his car. His web page:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/7630/index.html

andyps - 23/8/04 at 01:36 PM

It would ideally need Ford GT40 type doors to enable easy access to the seats through roof cutaways. Is a hard top really in the spirit of a seven though?

derf - 23/8/04 at 03:13 PM

yes, a hard top is, as long as it is removable, if it is made out of lightweigt materials (Carbon fiber for example) it shouldn't weigh more than a soft top with all the supports. On the same token a passenger really isnt in the spirit of a lightweight seven either.

JoelP - 23/8/04 at 05:12 PM

WLR do a fibber top for theirs AGM. Or is that meant to be AGM do a top for their WLR?!

mandy69 - 23/8/04 at 05:50 PM

That westfield hard top looks really neat, are they the only ones doing them?

locoboy - 24/8/04 at 11:32 AM

i saw a nice hard top at stafford this year i *think* it was on a robin hood, was well finished and looked spot on, shame the rest of the car looked like it had been jigged up on a plastic jig that was stored too close to the fire

macspeedy - 24/8/04 at 04:43 PM

westfield don't do them the idea never got of the ground unfortunately

Vet Will - 24/8/04 at 05:19 PM

Would a hardtop that hinges from the roll bar at the back and lifts up on gas lift things off a car boot to allow access be a bad idea? This would save making doors. I know lifters off a normal car boot may not be strong enough to support such a roof unless it was mad out of something exceptionally light, but you can get stronger ones, for example the one on my tractor bonnet which wieghs quite alot.

andyps - 24/8/04 at 05:57 PM

An average hatchback is surprisingly heavy so those gas struts will hold quite a lot of weight.

macspeedy - 24/8/04 at 07:27 PM

there is an old photo of a gt40 style hard roofed 7 going about can anyone help

macspeedy - 24/8/04 at 07:35 PM

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=4801

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=838

anymore

ZEN - 25/8/04 at 09:04 PM

Nova kit car style would make it easy to jump in the cockpit.

http://www.nova-international.net/galleries/nova%20gallery/Nova%20(10 0).jpg

cassidym - 25/8/04 at 09:19 PM

Am also considering a hard/soft top when I eventually come to that stage.

Also brainstormed the idea about a hard top with gas lifters/shocks like those of a hatch. Did'nt like it much for various reasons.

Came across a nice article about how to construct a Carson top - thinking maybe I can do it in 2 pieces and stow it away in the "boot" when not in use + have something resembling doors on the car.

Also thought of integrating the roll bar with roof - then have a removable rear window which clips to the rollbar roof section and then make another removable roof panel from the rollbar to the windscreen - very similar to what TVR is doing; can't remember which model tho. Advantage is you have 2 small sections to store. Still need doors tho.

But no compromise - roof + doors must be completely removable.

Decided to tackle it when the time comes. Let us know your approach and end result - am very interested.

ZEN - 26/8/04 at 10:40 AM

What is a Carson top?

TVR's are probably the best looking cars i ever saw.
This is the TVR Tuscan with targa roof. Not shure if the rear window is removable too. Rescued attachment tuscan.JPG
Rescued attachment tuscan.JPG

andyps - 26/8/04 at 11:36 AM

The Tuscan pictured has a removeable window leaving the roll frame - it is a targa really, the latest Tuscan is available as a full convertible. The TVR Griffith, Chimeara and Tamora have a two piece roof with canvas rear and solid top part. Tamora with roof in place:

[Edited on 26/8/04 by andyps] Rescued attachment TamoraR234.jpg
Rescued attachment TamoraR234.jpg

cassidym - 26/8/04 at 06:56 PM

Zen, as far as I can remember from the article a Carson top is a one piece removable hardtop roof, covered in vinyl, leather or other cloth type material.

I think I read the howto on hotrod.com.

It's not really on my list of possible solutions but it's a very good guide for making your own hardtop.

dave1888 - 5/9/04 at 06:27 PM

I spotted this at donnington Rescued attachment DSC_0219.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC_0219.JPG

Mark Allanson - 5/9/04 at 06:56 PM

I couldn't get in that, without my own personal osteopath

dave1888 - 5/9/04 at 07:10 PM

I seen it driving passed but the time i got over to where it was parked the guy had got out. Wanted to see if he had any difficulty getting out.

jonno - 9/9/04 at 07:32 PM

Its a Dutton !!, with a bike engine in i think. I've gotta hard top for mine & its not to hard to get in