Board logo

Alternator problems with Zetec.
Sebastian - 2/6/09 at 08:10 AM

Hi,

This weekend i had my first testdrive with the new engine installed a 2.0 silvertop and everything was fine until my alternator died and the battery went flat, so i am looking at a new alternator and was wondering which one you guys use it has to be one with a multibelt wheel it also has to be a small one since i don't have that much space in my Tiger Supercat.

And are there also some pictures available of the belt routing?

o yeah i now have a Daihatsu alternator where we put a multibelt wheel on it ourselves.

stevec - 2/6/09 at 10:42 AM

Try the search feature, this has been talked about a lot.
Alternator linky

Steve.

coozer - 2/6/09 at 10:51 AM

Was it the original zetec alternator?

If so the problem will have been because the voltage regulator is in the ECU and not the alternator. So, overcharging killing the battery and burning out the windings...

I have a Brise unit on mine that takes the original 6 groove pulley.

Sebastian - 2/6/09 at 11:48 AM

No it wasn't the original Zetec one this one is to big i used a standard small Daihatsu thingy.

I do use an older Dunnell system but i don't think this is the problem since i use the same loom when i was driving with the Pinto unit and there was no problem at all.

Sebastian - 2/6/09 at 02:09 PM

Well i know now that the most use Daihatsu ones, but i am doubting the connections at the moment, at the back of the alternator are 2 small flat connections and 1 big bolt which holds the powercord which goes to the startersollenoid, on 1 flat connection comes the charging warninglight but what does the 2nd flat one do?
I never used it when i ran a pinto engine is there a difference between the Pinto and Zetec on this?

scutter - 2/6/09 at 03:27 PM

The second flat connector goes to the fusebox to exite the atlernator!!!

I'll dig out a pic in a mo. (there you go)

ATB Dan.

denso wiring
denso wiring

[Edited on 2/6/09 by scutter]