Board logo

I think I broke my tin top too...
aerosam - 6/9/08 at 07:21 PM

drove through a puddle on the way home from work (went right across a single track road, about 4-6" deep at a guess) a mile or so later it starts running on 3 cylinders intermittently.

It now idles eratically (though not too bad) and revs freely when under no load. Drives ok-ish on flat or downhill but seriously lacking in power. Show it any kind of hill and it goes back to running on three and has no power at all.

Hopefully just a bit of water where water should not be. Any other ideas/theories?

its a 1998 Peugeot 406 1.8 16v petrol btw.

mark chandler - 6/9/08 at 07:39 PM

empty the water out the air filter housing then see how it goes! Pugs collect water really easily

speedyxjs - 6/9/08 at 07:42 PM

I think your about the third person this week who has damaged their car through water!

blakep82 - 6/9/08 at 07:52 PM

whats the deal with all this rain?!
here's what it was like outside my window today
Description
Description

gavin174 - 6/9/08 at 08:00 PM

that looks like one hell of a puddle in the background !!!!!!!!

DRC INDY 7 - 6/9/08 at 08:16 PM

I dont get it why all the probs is it because you are driving to fast through the water
I have seen many round our neck of the woods blast through it like there driving a speed boat creating a big bow wave that just get sucked in

blakep82 - 6/9/08 at 08:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gavin174
that looks like one hell of a puddle in the background !!!!!!!!

that used to be greenock!

martyn_16v - 6/9/08 at 08:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DRC INDY 7
I have seen many round our neck of the woods blast through it like there driving a speed boat creating a big bow wave that just get sucked in

It's the closest my van ever gets to a wash

DRC INDY 7 - 6/9/08 at 08:50 PM

JoelP - 6/9/08 at 09:06 PM

it was much like that in yorkshire this morning, until the rain drops started to fall. I say drops, i really mean water bombs. Dirty big drops, i got totally soaked.

novacaine - 6/9/08 at 10:41 PM

my guess would be water in the coil pack

I worked for vauxhall last summer after those floods and replaced no end of coil packs, got bored of it in the end

les g - 6/9/08 at 11:56 PM

i hope it rains all sunday afternoon then i can sit and watch the rugby
lesg

aerosam - 7/9/08 at 08:04 AM

Thanks Mark and novacaine for your constructive answers.

Water in one of the coil packs was my thought as well (I believe it has 4 individual packs on top of the plugs as there are no HT leads) How would I suss out which one? If it did have leads it would be easy.

I think I need to take the top cover off and have a look in there.