Board logo

Exhaust question!
Sebastian - 7/6/10 at 06:54 PM

After driving this weekend with my Tiger i really need to bring the noise down, i have a 2ltr Zetec wih TB's and using the original exhaust manifold with 1 pipe to the side and have the silencer directly behind it, so no cat fitted since i don't need it for the MOT here in Holland so i have the following questions:

- Will a big bike silencer of a chopper or big v-twin do the trick?

- Will a catalyc converter help reduce the noice.

- And if you don't have a lambdasensor fitted will a Catalyc converter then help bringing the emission down?

What's your advice regards this point, bigger and longer silencer or.......

snapper - 7/6/10 at 07:22 PM

So many questions, so i will only give you my opinion...
A big bike silencer will probably not help.
A Cat will reduce the noise and the performance.
A cat and a lamda will only reduce emmisons if you have fuel injection setup with an ECU.
Bigger and longer silencer will make the most difference and won't restrictBHP that must.

[Edited on 7/6/10 by snapper]

BenB - 7/6/10 at 07:32 PM

I think I would agree Some bike cans are actually quite noisy and although sounding nice might not help the situation.

A cat will swallow power and (without a lambda / ECU combo) will be short lived in all likelyhood unless your tuning happens to be spot on.

Is your exhaust packable? You could try that.

Sebastian - 7/6/10 at 07:55 PM

OK so a longer an bigger silencer should do the trick, is a 6" silencer a good way to go?

I think it's packable what is the best material to use then?

whitestu - 7/6/10 at 07:59 PM

Standard R1 cans are fairly quiet. I have one on my Zetec and was under 90db when measured for a track day.

Stu

matt_gsxr - 7/6/10 at 09:03 PM

What are your noise and emission requirements?

Where are you at the moment?

I have a MK built 6inch stainless exhaust, cost £150 and my bike engine is down to 95dB at 7000rpm (possibly slightly higher now I have different cams), which is very inoffensive.

You could fit a turbo, as these muffle the exhaust noise too!

Matt

paulf - 7/6/10 at 09:35 PM

My car is also rather noisy but most of the noise is induction roar when driving fast.Maybe an air box would help.
Paul.

DRC INDY 7 - 7/6/10 at 09:54 PM

A cat fitted will bring the emissions down with carbs fitted but not as much as a fuel injected one

cars used to have unregulated cats fitted in the days gone by

ie lada and nissan micra imports had cats carbs and even contact breaker system