Board logo

Pinto compression help
couch22k - 11/4/11 at 08:33 PM

I was hoping somebody could help. My 2.1 pinto have been breathing really heavy, so today I was advised to do a compression test and found out the no.3 was running low.

No. 1 2 and 4 are running at about 160 and 3 is running at around 75(psi I think).

I was told to first check the gaps on the rockers with a feeler gauge and they all seem to be spot on.

Before I start taking the head of I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and what would be next thing to check out.

Hope i've explained this ok as I don't really know what im talking about.

Cheers

Steve

jacko - 11/4/11 at 08:44 PM

Head off am afraid could be a head gasket going don't think it will be a valve if you have some compression
Jacko

couch22k - 11/4/11 at 08:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Head off am afraid could be a head gasket going don't think it will be a valve if you have some compression
Jacko

Thats what im hoping for. Cheers Jacko

perksy - 11/4/11 at 08:48 PM

Couple of squirts of engine oil in the bad cylinder and re-do the test (Wide open throttle)

If the compression raises notably you will know that the issue is with the bottom half of the engine (Rings etc)

a Leak down test is better, but not everybody has the kit in their garage

britishtrident - 11/4/11 at 09:20 PM

Deck chairs on the Titanic

75psi on one cylinder and pumping out oil = at best a broken or stuck top piston ring.
Engine is already well over bored best way out is find another Pinto and use that as a starting point.

[Edited on 11/4/11 by britishtrident]

britishtrident - 11/4/11 at 09:29 PM

quote:
Jacko

With those symptoms it sure ain't a head gasket.

snapper - 12/4/11 at 08:41 AM

You can bore a 205 block with care to 94mm
So a small increase above 93mm would not be an issue

jacko - 20/4/11 at 09:03 PM

Any news as to what it was ?
Jacko

couch22k - 28/4/11 at 06:04 PM

quote:
Any news as to what it was ?
Jacko

Yes mate its was a cracked piston

Had new bottom end made up with a spare 205 block I had.

Cheers all