Board logo

Alternative engine install (V8 or V6)
donut - 5/12/05 at 05:33 PM

Right...plan for the future so i don't get board next winter is to rebuild an engine or getting a goodun and fitting it. My orig thought was a Rover V8 which would sound really nice and i know it can be done in an MK without too much fiddlin.

Just been speaking to a friend of mine who sugested a V6 would be an easier install. Still sound great but less shoehorning in. What would be ideal would be an engine that would fit on my type 9 Ford box. My friend suggested a Mazda 2.0 V6 from a 323. All alloy and modern injection! I know that Ford own Mazda so was rather hoping that the gearbox would bolt straight on to the back of it.

Anyone know if this would be possible?

Any other suggestions for V6's (not the Cologne) like the Alfa or small light V8's etc. I'm not after huge bhp just a decent sound track and something a bit different.

liam.mccaffrey - 5/12/05 at 05:35 PM

good article in ppc this month on alternative v8s ill get it too you if you want

merc audi plus a few others

donut - 5/12/05 at 05:38 PM

I have been told that PPC is worth getting this month so i'll pop into Caterham tomorrow and get it. Cheers anyway.

froggy - 5/12/05 at 06:42 PM

go for the rover if everyone goes after these newer v8,s there should be a few perfectly good motors getting pulled out to fit ls1 ,s etc .mine is on a weber carb and stock ignition and still good for 250 bhp in a 600kg car ,plenty!

jambojeef - 5/12/05 at 07:03 PM

Straight onto your Type 9 if its a v6 bellhousing and 200bhp straight away - with a sweet exhaust and by removing the emissions stuff should be a safe 230.

No-one can get rid of them yet they are super sweet and sound beautiful - best of all you can pick one up for under £200 and they last for ages - the one in my Scorp cos is 161,000 miles old and sounds lovely.

Bit heavy but who cares - its different!

Geoff

[Edited on 5/12/05 by jambojeef] Rescued attachment v624vpic2.jpg
Rescued attachment v624vpic2.jpg

jambojeef - 5/12/05 at 07:22 PM

Or......

Still cheap - need an adapter plate though and all alloy....?

My mates 3.0 12v 164 sounded gorgeous and had very quick throttle reponse - ooohhh the decisions! Rescued attachment alfa4.jpg
Rescued attachment alfa4.jpg

donut - 5/12/05 at 07:51 PM

Yep some good ideas, keep em coming!!

Volvorsport - 5/12/05 at 09:40 PM

straight 6 ? , have an alluring soundtrack , maybe a bit long for a std chassis or

i would suggest the 'late' prv which has even firing and no oiling probs , and comes with a rwd gearbox from a volvo - not my cup of tea , 170 reliable hp - the same engine produces 450 hp turboed in a venturi - and to date i dont know anyone with a prv motor

donut - 5/12/05 at 10:02 PM

What engine did they put in that weird looking 480?

Kowalski - 5/12/05 at 10:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
straight 6 ? , have an alluring soundtrack , maybe a bit long for a std chassis or

i would suggest the 'late' prv which has even firing and no oiling probs , and comes with a rwd gearbox from a volvo - not my cup of tea , 170 reliable hp - the same engine produces 450 hp turboed in a venturi - and to date i dont know anyone with a prv motor

There is a 24valve variant of the PRV, it appears in Citroen XMs and Peugeot 605s but obviously you'd need a manual gearbox from the Volvo since they're both front wheel drive. 200 bhp from the 24v PRV.

The Vauxhall Omega comes with a V6 and a manual gearbox that might fit. Does the Carlton get anything interesting?

donut - 5/12/05 at 10:25 PM

Someone else mentioned the Carlton V6. Worth looking into i recon!

Trev Borg - 5/12/05 at 10:28 PM

this months PPC show the lovely V6 alfa lovenly crafted in a stunning Autotune Gemini.

Oh no ,I'm sorry, i was wrong. its hamfistedly squeeeezed into my no-where near finished Gemini

bigrich - 5/12/05 at 10:47 PM

omega uses v6 in 2.5 and 3.0 versions 200+ bhp in 3.0 with a free rwd gearbox and independent rear end some with lsd carltons where all straight 6s in 12 and 24 valve formats dont think you'll find a 3.6 twin turbo lump out of a lotus carlton though, 370bhp would be nice though i didnt mention the 4 cylinder engines in either cos they don't make the right noises. now you've got me thinking, build number 2 is beconing me thinks

donut - 6/12/05 at 08:19 AM

Me like this, courtisy of Bouldy

Rover V8 in an Indy.

Image deleted by owner

[Edited on 6/12/05 by donut]

scotty g - 6/12/05 at 08:40 AM

Donut
The 480 used the same engines as the 440 and 460.
1.7 turbo or 2 litre, don't know if they used the 1.8 as well but all 4 pots im afraid.

donut - 6/12/05 at 08:55 AM

Cheers Scotty. I only asked as a mate had a turbo jobby and he was well impressed with the performance and it takes alot to please him!!

RazMan - 6/12/05 at 09:54 AM

How about the Duratec V6? Around 220bhp, really compact and light and getting cheaper all the time as the Mondeos bite the dust

donut - 6/12/05 at 09:58 AM

Nope, decided it's gotta be V8. Probably going to go Rover V8 if i do go ahead.

Gav - 6/12/05 at 01:17 PM

go for the chevy LSI V8

donut - 6/12/05 at 02:01 PM

i would like to keep my spleen in it's natural place!!

Viper - 6/12/05 at 02:23 PM

My brother has small block chevy for sale with a T5 box, lots of trick bits can't remember them all, pushed a camaro to under 12second quarter.....

donut - 6/12/05 at 02:29 PM

They are cast iron blocks arn't they? even heavier than my Pinto anchor !

Bit much for my little car. I only intend going with a std P6 or SD1 engine. i don't really want it tuned.

froggy - 6/12/05 at 02:52 PM

if youve got the v8 bug ive got a pretty much complete 3.5 with efi,gearbox and prop when your ready,tried to sell it on here but no luck .you might struggle to get everything you need in one go so bear me in mindmy old motor made 215bhp when it was last fitted and the only reason i havent used it is my 4wd stuff is the oil pump on the older v8,s is right where my front prop runs. even if the old rover made 100hp id still use one for the soundtrack alone especially going through tunnels

donut - 6/12/05 at 04:15 PM

The bug is biting.... It will be Feb/March before i get the car SVA'd and i want a project so i can be ready for the change over at the end of next summer.

Sent U2U

donut - 6/12/05 at 04:25 PM

Heres an iteresting power chart for Rover V8's:

[img][/img]

Dale - 6/12/05 at 07:48 PM

Caddy northstar. mmmmmm
Dale

locost_bryan - 7/12/05 at 02:55 AM

How about the alloy GM GenIV V8 from a Holden/Vauxhall Monaro? 300kw/400hp, 6-speed, compact, light

Take a look at the Elfin MS8 Clubman www.elfin.com.au

[Edited on 7-12-05 by locost_bryan]

NS Dev - 7/12/05 at 10:37 AM

I have not read the full thread but I know I will upset some people by saying that in my (very humble!!) opinion a rover v8 is not the engine for this type of car.

It would sound nice and be fun but the limited rev range and excessive low down torque mean lots of wheelspin followed rather swiftly by lots of gearchanges!!

Personally I think a V6 is a much better option.

Now that's got the controversial bit over with (please don't argue, the above is simple facts, but I fully understand why people use the rover, it does sound lovely and is great for scaring passengers witless!!!!!)

So, v6!!!!

Simple option would probably be the Vauxhall/Opel 2.5 v6. There is a chap on the westy forum running one on throttle bodies in a westy, it's awesome!

The engine will bolt straight on to the rwd mk3 Carlton gearbox (1988 onwards) as it shares the same bellhousing pattern as the OHC/XE/Ecotec 4 cyl engines. The engine does have it's weaknesses, but if you buy one that you can see running it will be fine. They are more powerful than a std 3.5 injection rover v8 in std form and are only 2.5 litres.

The 3 ltr Omega engine bolts up in an identical fashion, but you will generally need the 2.5 "first", because you'll need the flywheel from it as nearly all the 3 ltr engines are automatics.

250hp is a cinch with the 3 ltr.

This is definitey the V6 route that I would take as the engines are DIRT cheap, the gearbox is dirt cheap and bolts straight on with no special bellhousings etc, and the clutch parts are all off-the-shelf too.

To give you an idea of what CAN be done (this is a std engine but fitted with eaton blower and bear in mind it's only a 2.5!!)

Squeal Charger Squeal!!!!! Clicky!!

froggy - 7/12/05 at 10:51 AM

(sort of) agree with you about the rover engine thats why im using a taller final drive and 4wd setup but in its defence an easy swap ,the biggest stumbling block is gearing .when i first fitted a rover in an old avenger it used a 3.9 diff and didnt feel comfortable at over sixty mph rev wise but for bolt on power its well catered for and il keep saying it the noise!!!!!! Hmmmmmmm rumbly

NS Dev - 7/12/05 at 11:03 AM

with 4wd I would tilt my balance back in favour of the V8! Didn't realise we were including the 4wd option.......that moves the goalposts!!!

Yes, late 4.6 rover on quad throttle bodies......hmmmm nice!!

Just as another option if going 4x4, you can still use the GM V6, but with a caterham XE bellhousing (or Yukspeed etc) coupled to the earlier XR4x4 type 9 based gearbox, which would probably then need some Quaife internals with that power, which does then get a tad pricey!!

donut - 7/12/05 at 11:17 AM

I like this Elfin bodywork:

If i go for an engine change it will be Rover V8 as it's the sound track i want more than anything. I will be doing more research into traction loss etc to make sure it's a go. Some of the Range Rover and Land Rover engines according to the above chart show low bhp which should be ok for a type 9 gearbox (with conversion bellhousing) but then it's the torque thats the issue i guess.

[Edited on 7/12/05 by donut]

NS Dev - 7/12/05 at 11:45 AM

A type 9 will be extremely marginal at best with a rover. I wouldn't try it...............come to think of it is there a bellhousing available anyway???

NS Dev - 7/12/05 at 11:51 AM

Ironically enough, a highly tuned v8 will actually be better for a lightweight 7, as it's torque curve will better match the traction available at the wheels.

A really revvy and highly cammed v8 will be very good, as it will lose some of the lowdown torque which doesn't suit the 7. The downside is that the steel internals and all the valve train parts won't be cheap.

froggy - 7/12/05 at 12:15 PM

i think were getting muddled here, im allready building a4wd v8 its donut who wants to swap his pinto for a bigger engine,as for the gm v6 not seen any modded engines and i can remember doing quite a few head gaskets when they wer,nt long out of warranty what about induction? regardless of its pensionable age the rover v8 is nice and simple no belts to break and most engines out there have allready been rebuilt and fitted to some kit or other project, il wager most vauxhall v6 motors still on the road are long past their prime and the cost of a rebuild is twice what you would spend on a rover