Board logo

Fireblade Carbs
Billbro - 4/4/07 at 11:51 AM

I have Fireblade carbs fitted to my 1800 Zetec. They seem to be performing well.
No spitting or backfires and the car starts first time.
Went out yesterday for a short run to check the performance and discovered
that when reved hard and shut off (between gears) a fine mist comes out the carbs.
So much so that it covered half the winscreen. Is this normal or are they getting too much fuel.
They are on 170 main jets and whatever other jets are standard in a Fireblade.
The needles are set in the center groove and the mixture screws are 2 turns out.
The plugs look normal(ish) with a little sooty black ring round the bottom. I haven't been for a long run to check the plugs properly.
I do not have air filters yet. It's a carb blade fuel pump.
Bill.

jacko - 4/4/07 at 03:34 PM

if you do a serch i think you will find that it is normal with bike carbs
Jacko

DarrenW - 4/4/07 at 03:54 PM

I seem to recall this was mentioned in a recent post (within the last 2 weeks or so) about bike carbs in this section. Its called stand off or something like that.

lenkeen - 4/4/07 at 04:49 PM

Just wondering if you can help with fitment of the blade carbs, with regard to the vent holes under the velocity stacks, are any blocked off? I'm trying to get six of the buggers running on a GT6 and not sure if i need to block any of the vent holes up to make them run?

jacko - 4/4/07 at 05:18 PM

Hi i have bike carbs fitted and the air vents are blocked but the engine will run if there not blocked you need to get it running and get the car on a r/road it see if they need blocking for fueling etc
Jacko

TangoMan - 4/4/07 at 05:46 PM

Definitely fuel stand-off. Adding ram pipes will help as it lengthens the inlet tract.
I filter will also assist but not as much as the pipes.

Billbro - 4/4/07 at 05:52 PM

Lenkeen. I have not blocked off any holes. I only changed the main jet to a Weber 170. all the rest is as it came off the blade.

I have read the post on standoff but was wondering how much mist was normal. You can taste the petrol as you gun away.
Do you drop the needles to reduce the amount of fuel going in?
Bill.

Billbro - 4/4/07 at 06:00 PM

Tangoman.
Are these ram pipes or bell mouths?

Billbro - 4/4/07 at 07:38 PM

lenkeen - 4/4/07 at 09:53 PM

Thanks for the advice, I have tried to get the engine running recently, bu although I have fitted a fuel pump from a Yamaha Thunderace (thought most bike units would be ok, and this was available) the carbs keep flooding, so I've fitted a Petrol King reg, and will be playing with that to see if it cures the problem. I have tried to attach a picture of the offending items! Rescued attachment GT6 Carbs comp.jpg
Rescued attachment GT6 Carbs comp.jpg