Board logo

Electrical Power Steering
miserableoldgit - 22/6/11 at 10:17 PM

Had a search, but not found anything.

Has anybody tried to use electrical power steering off something like Vauxhall Corsa on a Locost/Westfield at any time?

Bit girlie I know, but when using a V8 lump and powertrain any assistance is welcome (apart from an engine swap that is).

Chippy - 22/6/11 at 10:40 PM

I have power stearing on my car, but I went the route of fitting the electric pump type, should have a couple of pictures somewhere, will add them if I can locate them. Cheers Ray
[img] Power steering
Power steering
[/img]

[Edited on 22-6-11 by Chippy]

snapper - 23/6/11 at 04:52 AM

There was a guy on eBay selling a simple controller, if you don't have this the Corsa power steering is very light at speed.
You could just switch it for parking but slow town driving would still be heavy.

ashg - 23/6/11 at 06:47 AM

you dont need that box if you have efi. most aftermarket ecu's have a vss output which is what the corsa steering needs to increase and decrease effort.

40inches - 23/6/11 at 08:44 AM

I used MGF, very light, with a pot to control effort. Very effective.
Top view
Top view

miserableoldgit - 23/6/11 at 02:37 PM

Thanks for that, was sure somebody must have tried this. No ECU so the MGF option looks worthy of further investigation.

Many thanks

coozer - 23/6/11 at 03:28 PM

I used to work in the factory where the Corsa and Toyota systems were manufactured. I know them inside out.

Assist comes from the amount of input, so, at straight ahead fast speeds they don't give any assist, same reversing into tight spots giving the steering wheel some they give maximum assist.

The unit out of a Corolla is much smaller and more advanced technology wise than the Opel one.

Ask away if I can help.

Steve