Board logo

Speed sender
ChrisW - 19/11/03 at 08:26 PM

After a speed sender for my digital dash project. Are any Fords fitted with them as standard? Failing that, anyone used an after market speedo with a separate sender? I would rather avoid the whole 'magnets on the prop shaft' trick

Chris

Metal Hippy - 19/11/03 at 08:29 PM

Some Vauxhalls had them...

ChrisW - 19/11/03 at 08:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Are any Fords fitted with them as standard?

Fool.

Chris

Metal Hippy - 19/11/03 at 08:34 PM

I know you said Ford ya ginger gimp but I just mentioned it as another avenue you could look into potentially.

ChrisW - 19/11/03 at 08:44 PM

You can't talk about hair

Having taken the wee you may actually have a point. Anyone know how Vaux speed sensors connect to the running gear?

Chris

Metal Hippy - 19/11/03 at 08:47 PM

Yes I can, I'm fully able to talk about h... h... ha... ARSE.

Oh well, maybe not.

Peteff - 19/11/03 at 09:08 PM

I think they use sellotape, or do they read a toothed trigger disk mounted on the crank. I think it's the latter.

yours, Pete.

Hellfire - 19/11/03 at 09:23 PM

The friendly banter!

Oh and "Lord" - the Scampi, saw it after you posted the badger's one... badger is the best!

still prefer beaver tho'...

Metal Hippy - 19/11/03 at 09:24 PM

Genie Arse

Alan B - 19/11/03 at 09:48 PM

Pete...sensor on the crank is fine for RPM....but wasn't Chris looking for Speedo input?

Hmm...sellotape is correct.....

Mark Allanson - 19/11/03 at 09:54 PM

Fine if he keeps it in first gear

Alan B - 19/11/03 at 10:19 PM

See.....I always miss the obvious answer....

zetec - 19/11/03 at 10:23 PM

Ford MT75 gearbox has a speed sensor fitted, not sure if all models but anything fitted with injection or ABS is a good bet. Good output signal as well.

ChrisW - 20/11/03 at 06:05 PM

Been offered an MT75 one and one from a Fiesta Si. Anyone know if either of these will fit a type 9 g'box?

Chris

ChrisW - 20/11/03 at 06:43 PM

Cheers Syd. Ideally I'd like to have it connect straight up but I guess the cable option is there if I can't!
Chris

zetec - 20/11/03 at 08:43 PM

The speed sender on the MT75 is built into the gearbox casting, you would need to use the whole gearbox, same mountings as the type9 and stronger.

AvonBelgium - 20/11/03 at 11:23 PM

Have a look here
Nordskog

theconrodkid - 21/11/03 at 12:22 AM

there is an mt75 one kicking around in your barn chris,your mission is to find it

Ben_Copeland - 21/11/03 at 09:21 AM

Runs off the gearbox.... same place as the cable drive ones

Looks like that
Transducer
Transducer

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
You can't talk about hair

Having taken the wee you may actually have a point. Anyone know how Vaux speed sensors connect to the running gear?

Chris

[Edited on 21/11/03 by Ben_Copeland]

dblissett - 21/11/03 at 08:27 PM

i have taken a type 9 out of a injection grandad its has no cable drive and an electronic speedo so it must have a senser in there

Metal Hippy - 21/11/03 at 08:45 PM

Chris has more than enough space in his Luego Syd... Talk about wide ass....

stephen_gusterson - 21/11/03 at 11:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dblissett
i have taken a type 9 out of a injection grandad its has no cable drive and an electronic speedo so it must have a senser in there

I can back that up. my V6 cologne with type nine from a E granada does indeed have a speed sensor and not a cable.

atb

steve

ChrisW - 22/11/03 at 12:04 PM

Anyone want to part with their type 9 speed sender? Thats assuming it would fit on a 'cable' type box.

Chris

stephen_gusterson - 22/11/03 at 08:47 PM

your local breaker might

atb

mr obvious

ChrisW - 22/11/03 at 11:36 PM

Probably, but thought I'd try you lot first. Surely you're all fitting 'normal' instruments (with cables!)

Can anyone confirm if it will fit a 'cable' type 9 box?

Chris

[Edited on 22/11/03 by ChrisW]

stephen_gusterson - 22/11/03 at 11:44 PM

nothing is normal on my car.....my speedo is lekky and I bought it from a place in detroit.

atb

steve

Peteff - 23/11/03 at 01:14 PM

Pete...sensor on the crank is fine for RPM....but wasn't Chris looking for Speedo input.

Yes but if it will read it off the crank, will it read from any other rotating object or is it definitely only going to read from a crank mounted disc. Like the flask, how does it know?. It could read the four lobes on a u.j. for instance.

yours, Pete.

bob - 23/11/03 at 04:15 PM

To save any hassle if/when changing eng/box the magnets on diff drive shaft flange is the way i went. Rescued attachment speedo sender.jpg
Rescued attachment speedo sender.jpg

dblissett - 12/12/03 at 08:14 PM

will that pass the sva as each wheel will rotate at a different speed on the output of a diff
i thought it had to be on the input
ps wheres the best/cheapest place to get electric speedos 80mm

Northy - 14/12/03 at 11:17 AM

Chris,

did you ever make sense of this nonsense? And actually find one that fits a cable type 9?

Cheers

bob - 14/12/03 at 11:27 AM

Graham

There is a generator type fitting that fots on the end of the type 9 speedo cable.its called a "hunter sender" and i believe merlin motorsport sell them.

If i can find it i'm sure i have a 2nd hand one in the garage somewhere,its seen better days as it has been pushed to the limits in a well known high powered locost from this forum.

It has two wires that go from the generator to the electic speedo which send the pulse,if you want to have a go with it i'll post it to you.

dblissett - 14/12/03 at 11:50 AM

i am talking about where bob has his speed sensor fitted
ie its on one of the outputs of his diff
cheers dave

bob - 14/12/03 at 11:54 AM

Dave

yeah i had concerns about this relating to accurate measurement of speed,but it seems one of the big manufacturers (westfield) use this system with no problems at all.

I'll report back when its road tested pre SVA but i'm confident its ok.

bob - 14/12/03 at 11:57 AM

Cheapest electric speedos i've seen new are racetech available at http://www.raldes.co.uk

cheers

dblissett - 14/12/03 at 12:06 PM

thanks bob
can you keep me informend how you get on with the sva
cheers dave

Northy - 14/12/03 at 02:09 PM

Bob, are you saying that it needs the std cable aswell?

I origanally fitted the cable, but I was worried it was bent too tight and would snap

Cheers

bob - 14/12/03 at 03:09 PM

Graham

Yes the little generator runs on the end of the cable,i couldnt se the point at 1st but i now know its easier to calibrate these electric speedos yourself at SVA.

The only way i've seen of avoiding the tight bend in the speedo cable from the box is via a 90 degree angle adapter,but they are not cheap at around £45.
Mail andy (donut) as i think he has done this and has the exact price of adapters,in the end i went for the electic clock to keep the cost down but i know andy has done it cheaper by keeping sierra clocks.

Peteff - 14/12/03 at 04:32 PM

Not when it's on the rollers at sva they won't, it only slows the inside wheel on corners very slightly so you should be alright Bob. We ran a bike speedo off the rear wheel and that passed, just the same as the shaft effect. We had thought of using a short piece of speedo cable with a disc fastened to the end of it but the wheel method was easier.

yours, Pete.

bob - 14/12/03 at 06:28 PM

Thanks petei thought it would be ok as i've seen a few done this way.

And to be honest if its good enough for the volume builders it'll do for me