New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Helmet lifting of head
kenton

posted on 14/11/10 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Fit a windscreen and more power!
escary

posted on 14/11/10 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
iv'e noticed this a well

on a bike there are several helmet types, head down and head level.

i have in the past given a helmet away as it was a level head hat and no use on a sportsbike, as i rode the bike i could only look through the upper 1/3rd 1/4 of the visor, i'd suggest a well fitting Arai as these tend to be a head down hat and should limit the upper lift.

only problem, arai hats are expensive and don't fit everyones head and nose shape.

best of luck

Regards

Ewan

oadamo

posted on 14/11/10 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLee
Make a splitter out of plywood and glue it to the top of your helmet. That should help the airflow! Something A3 sized would be fine!!!

fpmsl

Rob Palin

posted on 18/11/10 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
As people have said, the helmet is lifting because the top surface of it is acting like an aeroplane wing. Shielding yourself from the wind with a larger screen is one way of fixing it. Another is to fit a spoiler to the back of the helmet at the top to 'square-off' the otherwise round shape. Race car helmets are often squared at the back like this, but it's harder to do for bike helmets because of the variations in posture and because you're not supposed to have anything on the lid that can catch and snap your neck if you're rolling across the ground in an accident. Nice.

The type of spoiler looks like this:

wobblyone

posted on 26/1/11 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
not sure its all down to a bike helmet, im more likely to think its a badly fitting lid, I raced bikes, then went on to 250 superkarts where your head is always being pulled off and never had any helmet lift issues wearing various motorbike arai's over the years and we were in a real non bike position with our heads no probs including averaging over 117mph at Thruxton and pushing 160 mph down the back straight with no windscreen etc, just got neck ache

if its a crap lid they can feel tight when you are stationary but add a 100mph and its a bit different. just my 10 cents )

adrenalin appears to be brown

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.