Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: captive bolts/threads - how?
Hugh Jarce

posted on 9/9/04 at 05:56 AM Reply With Quote
Ned, you don't really want to be making too many holes in your chassis unless you're goin to weld them up again.
A captive nut is nearly always better than a captive bolt (less susceptible to getting yourself caught on it for a start).
I have earth straps with 8mm, 10mm and 12mm holes in them.
If you must have a captive bolt with clear threads right up to the chassis, why not drill a hole right through, tap it, screw the bolt in from the rear and braze/silver solder it in place on both sides of the tube. The bronze/solder won't impede the threads if done neatly and you can then cut the head off the bolt too.
Or as someone mentioned somewhere above, weld a crush tube in. The wall of the crush tube should be at least as thick as the tube it's inserted through.

The pay isn't very good , but the work's hard.

Hugh Jarce

posted on 10/9/04 at 01:47 AM Reply With Quote
These blind fasteners may be of some use.

The pay isn't very good , but the work's hard.

JoelP

posted on 10/9/04 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
i've welded the head of a bolt onto the outside of a chassis tube several times in my build, to aviod drilling the chassis weak. then again, ive also drilled thru many times too. when ive put the bolt thru a bar i dont weld the thread in, just the head. its doesnt matter on the less structural tubes.

how about welding small tabs on, of say 3mm strip, and then welding bolts and nuts onto these.

James

posted on 10/9/04 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

how about welding small tabs on, of say 3mm strip, and then welding bolts and nuts onto these.

That's how I'd do it. You could even make them the engine bay strengthening gussets it you're bothered about the weight.

James

Northy

posted on 10/9/04 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thats what I did at the rear, a tab at each side.
At the front I used the inside of the headlight brackets.

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.