Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Whats the crack with average speed camras ?
morcus

posted on 27/1/13 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
The clue is in the word limit, technically you shouldn't be trying to go through the 50 zone at dead on 50 and if the governement or who ever it is that runs cameras wanted to, they could be set to go off at 1 mile over the limit and there was talk of doing this a few years ago as your speedo should always say your going quicker than you are so in our example if your doing 51 mph, your speedo will probably read closer to 55, which is probably what a policeman would say in the highly unlikely event that you got pulled for it.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

SteveWalker

posted on 27/1/13 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chillis
They can read your number plate and thus track you even if you switch lanes.

This has been true since the introduction of average speed cameras, but for a number of years they were not approved for monitoring multiple lanes, so changing lanes meant that they were not allowed to issue you a ticket. I think that loophole was closed some time ago.

ianclark1275

posted on 28/1/13 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
the temporary ones in road works - some sections work, some dont.

you can tell by looking at the bottom of the pole in the ground and the ones with the wiring work

i was told this by a road builder, but using it as a method of avoidance is highly risky.

i agree that sticking to 50 on speedo seems slow - just follow a lorry

IC

measure twice, cut once, scrap it, start again.

coyoteboy

posted on 28/1/13 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
They work of the same central clock so no time shift will occur to capture you incorrectly.

And the 10% thing isn't just police leniency, it is built into manufacturers minimum specifications, so legally they must have 10% as minimum leeway or they couldn't assume you were aware of your speed. Where the police leniency comes in is in the additional margin they allow.

P ?

posted on 28/1/13 at 05:29 AM Reply With Quote
Being a hgv driver (lorry) all wagons due to having tacho and speed calibrations can hit cruise band on 50 with sure knowledge its a true 50 most cars (makers) tend to go lower rather than bang on the money... I've passed no end of cars with visable speedo readings of 50 and passed them like I've doubted myself.... Best to check your speedo to a sat nav that gives a indication to weather your speedo is out a little.
jossey

posted on 28/1/13 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
Back when the m1 Sheffield roadworks had average speed camera I was working for Neopost. The used a franking machine to send out the fines. It used to from over a 100 a minute and ran all day Monday to Friday n couldn't keep up so they bought a new one. So 200 a minute....

Nearly 100,000 sent a day. £60 each lol that's a nice profit. Oh wait they don't profit from then.........

I use my sat nav as more accurate speedo my sat nav sits at 50 n my speedo says 54-55

I haven't been caught on any recent ones but I know a few who have been caught on the m62 ones from Leeds west bound.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 28/1/13 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NinehighWhat gets me is how do you know they're accurate? I mean if they're a mile apart and I hit the first one at 5.00.00 doing 30mph, and 2 minutes later I hit the second one that sees me go past at 30mph (but at 5.01.59) then they'll register me doing 60 when I haven't

I expect (as in bold) they time more accuratly than to every minute!

As far as I know manufactures are allowed to read upto a certain amount over the speed, but not allowed to read under such that you doing over the speed. The 10% +3 is a formal guide, but only a guide.

I did four years clean and then got stung three times in 12months, ive now done another 4years clean and they have all dropped off, but while a couple of times I have been know to look down at the speedo and think 'ohooo, errr, opps' I always aim to have it reading the speed limit (or less) through section, as said, even if your running late, its not worth the risk, its easy enough to get points without trying to play the system for 10% imo.

Daniel

[Edited on 28/1/2013 by dhutch]

SteveWallace

posted on 28/1/13 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I think that we are missing the point here. Average speed cameras in road works are there to protect the workers. I have worked with civil engineering contractors who have had people killed in road works, so we should be sticking to the speed limit in road works for this reason, not just to avoid getting caught.

What bugs me is when you drive through 20 miles of roadworks where its obvious that the work has been completed in all but a couple of miles of it without a contractor to be seen, and therefore there is no reason why they should not lift the speed limit.

I like the system that they have in some US states where speeding fines are doubled in roadworks.

Average speed limits on open motorways - fair game for how much of a margin of error you can play with.

coyoteboy

posted on 28/1/13 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Even on open motorway they are there for safety reasons based on
accident stats. If you want to speed with a clean conscience do it on a track.

Ninehigh

posted on 28/1/13 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
I think that we are missing the point here. Average speed cameras in road works are there to protect the workers. I have worked with civil engineering contractors who have had people killed in road works, so we should be sticking to the speed limit in road works for this reason, not just to avoid getting caught.

What bugs me is when you drive through 20 miles of roadworks where its obvious that the work has been completed in all but a couple of miles of it without a contractor to be seen, and therefore there is no reason why they should not lift the speed limit.

I like the system that they have in some US states where speeding fines are doubled in roadworks.

Average speed limits on open motorways - fair game for how much of a margin of error you can play with.

Very true. Maybe we need a legal requirement for a "workers are in" sign at the start as it's rather frustrating to have to trundle at 50 in the middle of the night to keep the speed cameras happy, and although I'm happy to have them there for the safety of roadworkers they won't be turning up until 8am and I'm still doing 50 down an empty stretch...

Oddified

posted on 28/1/13 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think anyone has a problem doing 50mph through road works so long as there's workers there doing something. The problem is as already been mention, more often than not you drive mile after mile through 'road works' when there's blatently nothing been done for weeks/months!!

Ian

motomad

posted on 28/1/13 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
I've never met anyone that's been fined by a average speed camera.

Mind you, the M25 variable speed limit cameras also apparently issued not a single ticket in 2012.

One thing the long stretches of 50mph averages speed zones DO achieve is epic fuel economy..

I have on the M11, 56mph average, 3 points and £60 fine, they do work and will catch you

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.