Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: quickie on wheels
Hugh Jarce

posted on 28/10/04 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Anyone know if the discs have to be iron? i dont mean carbon, just something a bit lighter.

I've had some success with aluminium discs. Plain aluminium (I forget the grade now...may have been 5083) worked OK, but had to be replaced every few race days. I experimented with plated aluminium, but early attempts suffered from delamination and surface crazing.
I later found success with a ductile electroless nickel/ceramic coating, so there were no problems with delamination or galling . The discs were simply water cut and bead blasted prior to being plated by a local firm.
The bead blasting was not to enhance the adhesion of the plating (it will stick permanently to highly polished aluminium), but rather to impart a better surface texture for braking effects. The plating is bullet proof (50-70 Rockwell C with ring shear bond strength of 15,000-35,000 psi) and will tolerate anything that you can throw at it.
Not too expensive either.

The pay isn't very good , but the work's hard.

JoelP

posted on 28/10/04 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
good suggestion mate. what hubs/calipers etc did you use these with, or did you make them go with whatever was needed?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Hugh Jarce

posted on 28/10/04 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
good suggestion mate. what hubs/calipers etc did you use these with, or did you make them go with whatever was needed?

Yup, custom hubs and modified bike callipers.

The pay isn't very good , but the work's hard.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.