Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternative engine install (V8 or V6)
Dale

posted on 6/12/05 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Caddy northstar. mmmmmm
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

locost_bryan

posted on 7/12/05 at 02:55 AM Reply With Quote
How about the alloy GM GenIV V8 from a Holden/Vauxhall Monaro? 300kw/400hp, 6-speed, compact, light

Take a look at the Elfin MS8 Clubman www.elfin.com.au

[Edited on 7-12-05 by locost_bryan]

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

NS Dev

posted on 7/12/05 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
I have not read the full thread but I know I will upset some people by saying that in my (very humble!!) opinion a rover v8 is not the engine for this type of car.

It would sound nice and be fun but the limited rev range and excessive low down torque mean lots of wheelspin followed rather swiftly by lots of gearchanges!!

Personally I think a V6 is a much better option.

Now that's got the controversial bit over with (please don't argue, the above is simple facts, but I fully understand why people use the rover, it does sound lovely and is great for scaring passengers witless!!!!!)

So, v6!!!!

Simple option would probably be the Vauxhall/Opel 2.5 v6. There is a chap on the westy forum running one on throttle bodies in a westy, it's awesome!

The engine will bolt straight on to the rwd mk3 Carlton gearbox (1988 onwards) as it shares the same bellhousing pattern as the OHC/XE/Ecotec 4 cyl engines. The engine does have it's weaknesses, but if you buy one that you can see running it will be fine. They are more powerful than a std 3.5 injection rover v8 in std form and are only 2.5 litres.

The 3 ltr Omega engine bolts up in an identical fashion, but you will generally need the 2.5 "first", because you'll need the flywheel from it as nearly all the 3 ltr engines are automatics.

250hp is a cinch with the 3 ltr.

This is definitey the V6 route that I would take as the engines are DIRT cheap, the gearbox is dirt cheap and bolts straight on with no special bellhousings etc, and the clutch parts are all off-the-shelf too.

To give you an idea of what CAN be done (this is a std engine but fitted with eaton blower and bear in mind it's only a 2.5!!)

Squeal Charger Squeal!!!!! Clicky!!

froggy

posted on 7/12/05 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
(sort of) agree with you about the rover engine thats why im using a taller final drive and 4wd setup but in its defence an easy swap ,the biggest stumbling block is gearing .when i first fitted a rover in an old avenger it used a 3.9 diff and didnt feel comfortable at over sixty mph rev wise but for bolt on power its well catered for and il keep saying it the noise!!!!!! Hmmmmmmm rumbly
NS Dev

posted on 7/12/05 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
with 4wd I would tilt my balance back in favour of the V8! Didn't realise we were including the 4wd option.......that moves the goalposts!!!

Yes, late 4.6 rover on quad throttle bodies......hmmmm nice!!

Just as another option if going 4x4, you can still use the GM V6, but with a caterham XE bellhousing (or Yukspeed etc) coupled to the earlier XR4x4 type 9 based gearbox, which would probably then need some Quaife internals with that power, which does then get a tad pricey!!

donut

posted on 7/12/05 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
I like this Elfin bodywork:

If i go for an engine change it will be Rover V8 as it's the sound track i want more than anything. I will be doing more research into traction loss etc to make sure it's a go. Some of the Range Rover and Land Rover engines according to the above chart show low bhp which should be ok for a type 9 gearbox (with conversion bellhousing) but then it's the torque thats the issue i guess.

[Edited on 7/12/05 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 7/12/05 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
A type 9 will be extremely marginal at best with a rover. I wouldn't try it...............come to think of it is there a bellhousing available anyway???
NS Dev

posted on 7/12/05 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Ironically enough, a highly tuned v8 will actually be better for a lightweight 7, as it's torque curve will better match the traction available at the wheels.

A really revvy and highly cammed v8 will be very good, as it will lose some of the lowdown torque which doesn't suit the 7. The downside is that the steel internals and all the valve train parts won't be cheap.

froggy

posted on 7/12/05 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
i think were getting muddled here, im allready building a4wd v8 its donut who wants to swap his pinto for a bigger engine,as for the gm v6 not seen any modded engines and i can remember doing quite a few head gaskets when they wer,nt long out of warranty what about induction? regardless of its pensionable age the rover v8 is nice and simple no belts to break and most engines out there have allready been rebuilt and fitted to some kit or other project, il wager most vauxhall v6 motors still on the road are long past their prime and the cost of a rebuild is twice what you would spend on a rover
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.