New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mid-Bike Engines diff alternative
Spyderman

posted on 22/11/03 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
quote:
Originally posted by colmaccoll
tadltd: the diff is the correct way up as the max engine spins the other way compared to blade/zx9 etc, hence you couldnt use a max engine in a rwd locost mores the pitty , plenty bhp and more torque than you can poke a stick at!

Ah so the diff is actually running in reverse all the time...I'll be interested to see how it holds up

This is something that I noticed and was wondering the same thing. Hopefully with such light loading it will endure ok. Also as there are so many in the scrap yards I don't suppose it is too crucial!

What did worry me was the sterring rack position as Tadltd pointed out.
There is going to be terrible bump steer on that setup and the loadings into the steering joints will be horrific.

Interesting concept though!

Terry

Spyderman

Alan B

posted on 22/11/03 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spyderman
......... Hopefully with such light loading it will endure ok. Also as there are so many in the scrap yards I don't suppose it is too crucial!

Terry, I suspect you could be right.....and even the terrible whine you'd probably wouldn't hear over the engine.....

But, joking aside sitting here online and picking holes is easy.......all credit for actually thinking it up and doing it....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sgraber

posted on 22/11/03 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Some of you may not know that I actually had a VMax/Venture engine in my garage to be installed mid-engine into my car in place of the 4AGE, but I just couldn't convince myself to use a reverse running differential... Just picture how the gears in a differential mesh together. Then think about the loading on the gears in reverse. Not pretty. I simply can't imagine it would last very long So I scrapped the idea.

However --- I truly want that unbelievable trike to succeed! and I would LOVE to hear updates on the FWD VMAX project as it makes it onto the road! Specifically related to how scary it is and how the diff holds up!

Graber Rescued attachment 4AGEvsVMAX.jpg
Rescued attachment 4AGEvsVMAX.jpg

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Spyderman

posted on 22/11/03 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
However --- I truly want that unbelievable trike to succeed! and I would LOVE to hear updates on the FWD VMAX project as it makes it onto the road! Specifically related to how scary it is and how the diff holds up!

Graber

I agree whole heartedly.
As Alan says, I guess it is too easy to nit pick.

MikeR,
Not found details yet, but here is a start.
It looks like a Mini diff being used.
http://www.zcars.org.uk/index.htm Rescued attachment minbbpice.jpg
Rescued attachment minbbpice.jpg

Spyderman

locoboy

posted on 22/11/03 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
The diff is running the right way! it will power the car forwards as it is at the front and the max engine spins the other way.

What i was saying was that in the conventional rear diff- front engine the max spins the WRONG way but with the diff at the front it will be ok.

i will keep you all posted on its progress.

ATB
Locoboy

sgraber

posted on 22/11/03 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by colmaccoll
The diff is running the right way! it will power the car forwards as it is at the front and the max engine spins the other way.

What i was saying was that in the conventional rear diff- front engine the max spins the WRONG way but with the diff at the front it will be ok.

i will keep you all posted on its progress.

Did I miss something here? Is the diff used the Front diff from a 4x4 Sierra? I have never seen that configuratoin... If so then, perfect! No worries mate!

However, If it's a rear diff, then you certainly 'must' realize that with the diff nose facing rearward, the diff is still running in reverse... even though the end result is that the car moves forward.

Just checking... 'Cause it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Graber

Steve Graber

locoboy

posted on 26/11/03 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
I am now in possession of

1 x Video camera

my mate is now in possession of

1 x 3 wheeler with Installed v-max engine with complete bespoke exhaust system.

Will post results of our combined efforts as soon as i can figure out how to!

Here you go lads:

Mid Engined V-MAX Starting Up

Mid Engined V-MAX Revving

[Edited on 26/11/03 by colmaccoll]

ATB
Locoboy

locoboy

posted on 27/11/03 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Check out the above links,

ATB
Locoboy

sgraber

posted on 27/11/03 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah! That's great! Love it when they fire up instantaneously like that!

Say, that sounds very business-like!

How soon before we can see some full speed runs up and down the alley way!?

Graber

Steve Graber

locoboy

posted on 27/11/03 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Should be blowing diffs by about Monday i recon! Just waiting for brakes and trying to investigate a hydraulic clutch that wont bleed!

Seriously worried by the reverse running of the diff now

A) we will get that reversing whine and

B) i dont think it will last that long with 150bhp being forced through it the wrong way.

To replace the diff means an engine removal too , not a complete removal but it needs to sway sideways shall we say!

Still..... it sounds sweet though, that exhaust cost £750 not including the end cans which he already had

ATB
Locoboy

timf

posted on 27/11/03 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
what about using the 4x4 front diff ?
locoboy

posted on 27/11/03 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
its certainly worth considering,

I have never seen one and dont know which way the input shaft rotates, can anyone offer some advise? even a piccy?

ATB
Locoboy

MikeR

posted on 2/12/03 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
Had a brain wave .....

BMW bike engines are shaft driven to the rear (well some are before someone tells me model x isn't). Now this is going to mean a little offset to the diff but at most we're looking at the width of the rear tyre plus a little.

So back to the original idea of bike engine and car diff - except the engine doesn't have to be really offset to the left!

Rorty

posted on 8/12/03 at 05:51 AM Reply With Quote
Try a search of this forum, as I think I described a method of doing what you're talking about a while ago. Basically, a Golf diff is the one you want, as they come with flanges and CV joints, and there are a huge variety of stock shaft lengths to chose from. All that's required is a fabricated/spun cover for the diff with a couple of O-rings and a bung/plug for the oil.
Here's a pic of something more expensive. Rescued attachment ZX12_trans.jpg
Rescued attachment ZX12_trans.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.