Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Seirra diff
James

posted on 19/7/02 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
So I take it you're not in favour then!

quote:

Take it from uncle Fatboy, know what you have and know what you need.

OK Unc!

What I've got is a Pinto with Type9 and a 3.92:1 diff' with drum brakes.

Unfortunately, what I want is a diff' with discs. By the sound of it Bob's is from a standard Sierra and therefore he's kept the 3.92:1 ratio. I just fancied the diff' off the 4x4 as it's LSD- unfortunately that means using a ratio of 3.62:1 .

This is a difference of about 8%- is this enough to worry about?
Can this effectively be compensated for by changing tyre profile by the same amount?

Thanks,

James

Fatboy Dave

posted on 19/7/02 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
It can be compensated for, but it means changing the tyre size by 8% (smaller I think). It doesn't have to be spot on, be near will do. Plenty of people use the 3.62 without any problems, and 8% will be A-OK if you're changine the wheel and tyre sizes anyway.

Don't worry about it, just fit it. Either that, or get your bracket down to a scrap yard, and start peering under later Sierras.

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

James

posted on 19/7/02 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

get your bracket down to a scrap yard, and start peering under later Sierras.

You wouldn't say that if you knew how much scrappies round me wanted for them!

Or, for that matter if you'd spotted the same abandoned Sierra down the road that I have!

Only 14 bolts to get off in the dark...

Cheers for the advice!

James

Fatboy Dave

posted on 19/7/02 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Well now, Sierras are getting thin on the ground, and it doesn't help that scrap prices are so low most are going to the crusher, but there's a few abandonned ones around, and I'm in the middle of asking my local council if I can help myself (the wrecked ones go straight to the crushers....)

Dave

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

bob

posted on 19/7/02 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Yep,James is dead right about the prices down here.
I got my diff from Rotherham,it was a 340 mile round trip in ht efirms tranny and it was dtill cheaper with the 40 quids worth of diseasal i had to put in .

Fatboy Dave

posted on 19/7/02 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Blimey. Where d' you live then? I'm in Hampshire (right at the bottom), I paid #80 private for an XR4x4 back end, #25 for a pair of uprights from a Sierra (complete, from a yard), a 10er or a column (Sierra again)........

Dave

bob

posted on 19/7/02 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Dave
£150 was the cheapest rear with discs,and when i wanted uprights and rack for the exchange with MK it was £80.
I got the uprights and rack from a breakers in doncaster for £55 delivered to my door the next day.
By the way i'm a few miles south of Heathrow airport.
There are some good breakers around here but they make you pay

Fatboy Dave

posted on 19/7/02 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ouch!

If you have a look in my garage, you'd have a fit. I've been stockpiling Sierra bits for yonks. It's like my local breakers' storage shed

What you need to do, is live in Geordie land. We have this knack of being able to find rusty old Fords

Dave

paulbeyer

posted on 19/7/02 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to get a MOT failure Sierra for £30 and drive it home. It took a few weeks of trawling the free ad papers but it paid off in the end.

Someone I know just paid £50 for the same thing. I started to take the wee for him paying £20 more than I did until he mentioned that it also came with a spare 2.0L Cossie engine. I'm gutted

For the sort of prices you mention Bob you'd be better off buying a complete MOT failure, taking the bits you need and scrapping the rest.

interestedparty

posted on 20/7/02 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
For the sort of prices you mention Bob you'd be better off buying a complete MOT failure, taking the bits you need and scrapping the rest.

That only works if you've got a cheap, easy and quick way of disposing of the shell and other unwanted bits. Most of us aren't that lucky.
Also, I think one's got to put some kind of value on one's own time. Having the stuff you need (and nothing else) arrive at your can be door has got to be worth some extra money. I say this having broken two cars this year.

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

theconrodkid

posted on 20/7/02 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Ive got all the bits sitting in a box,lsd,calipers,shafts,nuts n bolts,£100 for the lot.Bargain i,d say!
UncleFista

posted on 20/7/02 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Ring your local council and ask if they dispose of cars, a few do, its cheaper than getting shut of dumped cars once they've been burned-out...

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

interestedparty

posted on 20/7/02 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Thought of that, mine doesn't

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

bob

posted on 20/7/02 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I've since had 2 sierras for £20 a time,local dealer can find em no probs.

The reason i had to pay for front hubs and steering rack was because chassis was ready to be picked up from MKs and i needed to exchange bits.

Rear diff's with discs are just harder to find.

Needless to say,as soon as i'd picked up the chassis the two sierras turned up.
Like they say,you cant beat bad luck

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.