Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Capri Axle Ratio
Nick Davison

posted on 19/7/02 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Capri Axle Ratio

Can anyone tell me the ratio of a Capris 2.8i axle? I have one fitted to my car, I know it is fairly low but I don't know just how low.
I have 200lbs of torque to play with so the thing will still go even with 1:1 ratio ish?
Nick

MikeR

posted on 19/7/02 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Nick,
I seem to recall that the capri LSD (Salisbury Axle) is around 3:1 which is a little low for a normal crossflow - most people use around 3.5 to 4 :1.

With that much torque you'll be more that okay - whats your engine?

Mike.

Fatboy Dave

posted on 19/7/02 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Nick, 3.09:1, LSD on the Special

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Nick Davison

posted on 20/7/02 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that.

The engine is a 2.0L Turbo Lancia, probable a bit heavier than a Pinto but with the power and TQ of a V8. A bit big for the standard book chassis, but what is a bulge here and there?

The ratio seems well low, although I have a normal diff not a LSD. That should push me to about 140mph!
Nick

Fatboy Dave

posted on 20/7/02 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Nick, the Crapi V6 only revved to 6k, so if you go a bit higher, it won't matter. As you say, when the turbo comes online, you have (almost) the torque of a 3.5 V8, so you ought to be able to pull anything (the V8s original ratio was 3.08:1 BTW)

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

johnston

posted on 20/7/02 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
while we're on about capri axles i'm usin an atlas axle that i was told was from a 2.0 lt capri (diff is changed by unbolting plate at bac) but i was also told only 2.8's had this axle and the rest weren english type (diff comes out through the front of axle pionion and all)

so who is right any1 no

MikeR

posted on 20/7/02 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
From what i can gather most capri's used this axle. In fact i think it was mk2 onwards so almost everything you'll see will have it.

If your fitting this axle you will have to make a small modification to the rear tunnel on a standard width rear end. If your interested, give me a shout and i'll explain my modifications.

I've been told the Salisbury axle is much better at handling power than the English, again in most locosts this isn't a problem but you probably do need it.

From your comment, are you sure you've got a LSD? As far as i was aware LSD's where only fitted to the 2.8 and not the 2.0. The simple test is to turn a road wheel quite quickly and see what direction the other wheel turns, if its the same as the one your turning its LSD if its the other direction its a normal open diff (i think!)

Mike.

Nick Davison

posted on 20/7/02 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
I had to mod my 2.8 diff. Instead of changing the car I took out a small triangle of metal from the web on the right hand side of the diff housing. There is still enough of the web to provide strength and it gives me about 10mm clearance.
Nick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.