Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear Wilwoods
AdamR

posted on 8/1/09 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Rear Wilwoods

Anyone fitted the Powerlite handbrake calipers to a Sierra disc-braked rear end? Rally Design only advertise a kit for drum-braked Sierra hubs. I'm trying to work out which extra bits I'd need over the basic calipers.

Any pics would be appreciated.

Cheers

cloudy

posted on 8/1/09 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
They do one, it's not advertised online though - watch out though, it doesn't fit the cosworth rear end without mods...
AdamR

posted on 8/1/09 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cloudy
They do one, it's not advertised online though - watch out though, it doesn't fit the cosworth rear end without mods...

Thanks Cloudy. Have you worked out the necessary mods? Don't want to go on a wild goose chase for the non-Cosworth hubs unless I have to...

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 8/1/09 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
MNR supplied me with Wilwood handbrake calipers, ally caliper mounting plate and sierra disk brake type hub carriers. The ally caliper mounting plates bolt over the hub carriers mounting holes. The caliper then bolts radially to the mounting plate. Watch it though as the plates will not pass over the hub so must be put in place on the carrier before the hub is mounted into the carrier (bearings) and the stub axle inserted. I made this mistake the first time and had to disassemble the hubs. I'm ready to reassemble them but must wait for a couple of replacement bearing seals as I damaged two when disassembling. I also took the opportunity to cut off the original Sierra caliper mounts from the hubs to reduce unsprung weight.

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

eddbaz

posted on 8/1/09 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted some to a cossie rear end using the cossie hubs but had to modify the mounting bracket,I'll dig some pics out of how I modded the bracket for you,it wasn't too bad a job to do.

[Edited on 8/1/09 by eddbaz]

fazerruss

posted on 8/1/09 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
I used the kit from rally d , everything bolted on fine to the sierra 1.6 drum braked rears.Only mod i had to do was machine the hub down acouple of mm in the lathe cos the bell part of the disk in the kit is slightly smaller.

Forum Code: Description
Description

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

AdamR

posted on 8/1/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sucksqueezebangblow
MNR supplied me with Wilwood handbrake calipers, ally caliper mounting plate and sierra disk brake type hub carriers.

Cool. This sounds like the drum based kit from Rally Design. I'm guessing a Sierra drum hub carrier is pretty much just like the disc one, but without the caliper mounting holes. Anyone? Hence you just use as if on drum hubs and lop off the old mounts.

AdamR

posted on 8/1/09 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddbaz
I fitted some to a cossie rear end using the cossie hubs but had to modify the mounting bracket,I'll dig some pics out of how I modded the bracket for you,it wasn't too bad a job to do.

[Edited on 8/1/09 by eddbaz]

Perfect, thanks. Looking forward to seeing some pics...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.