Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A few Sierra rear end Q's
Lars

posted on 11/1/09 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
A few Sierra rear end Q's

Hi all

I have a couple of questions that I was hoping people could give me their opinion on:

1. I have a choice of a 7" 3.62 diff from a 1.8 sierra diesel and a 7" diff 3.62 from a Sierra XR4x4 (which I believe has an LSD, but not sure)
Is it worth getting the LSD for a zetec engined locost? (soon to be turboed)

2. How much should an LSD axle cost me

3. Can the bolt on shafts from the LSD units be used with the brake drums of a push in shaft version?
As I don't think the brake discs would fit in the wheels. (And I actually quite like the current drum set up which has rear drums.)

Lars

lotusmadandy

posted on 11/1/09 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Lars,

personaly i would go for the lsd from the 4x4.great on a turbo zetec

The 7" and 7.5" shafts are not interchangeable to my knowledge,
the bearings in the hubs are
a different size to start with.

Andy

Lars

posted on 11/1/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Some research suggests that prices are around £150, so I have answered my own question.

Sorry Andy, I did not mean whether 7" and 7.5", shafts are interchangable, as both are 7". But I was hoping to bolt the brake drums and hubs to shafts from a disk braked diff.
(if that makes sense)

bigrich

posted on 11/1/09 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
the bolt on shafts are found on rear disc equiped cars and use larger rear hub brgs, also the LSD diff, driveshaft flanges are different to NON lsd (longer) so you cant remove them and swap to push in shafts, as you can with a non LSD diff

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

Lars

posted on 11/1/09 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
So I would have to get special shafts made that go from a bolt on diff to drum hubs.
Which may be OK as I need shortened shafts anyway.

I also see that the LSD vs non LSD has been discussed a previously, so I withdraw the question. (However thank you Andy for your view)

Lars

maximill666

posted on 11/1/09 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Lars,

All you need to do is change the push in CV joints for Lobro bolt on ones from bolt on shafts.

That is what I have on mine, a 3.62 LSD diff with drums, using push in shafts with lobro joints. Rescued attachment Shaft 2.1
Rescued attachment Shaft 2.1

maximill666

posted on 11/1/09 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
2 Rescued attachment Shafts After.1
Rescued attachment Shafts After.1

alistairolsen

posted on 11/1/09 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigrich
the bolt on shafts are found on rear disc equiped cars and use larger rear hub brgs, also the LSD diff, driveshaft flanges are different to NON lsd (longer) so you cant remove them and swap to push in shafts, as you can with a non LSD diff

so if one used a non lsd for mocking up purposes,one couldnt swap in an lsd equipped diff at a lter date and the dimension accross the flanges is different?

londonsean69

posted on 11/1/09 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Just picked up a Cosworth 4x4 rear diff yesterday - £100 from someone breaking a cossie on the bay.

Got the driveshafts, uprights and hubs off him as well, £90 for those so £190 all in.

Everything is going to be totally stripped and given the electrolysis treatment, repainted then reassebled with all new bearings and seals

Sean

[Edited on 11/1/09 by londonsean69]

JoelP

posted on 11/1/09 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
quote:

so if one used a non lsd for mocking up purposes,one couldnt swap in an lsd equipped diff at a lter date and the dimension accross the flanges is different?

Thats how i read bigrich at first but i dont think thats what he means.

I think (correct me if im wrong Rich) that the bolt on diffs are all the same outside whether LSD or open. Insides may be different, ive never opened one.

I would hope to find a full xr4x4 rear assembly for £150, thats what i sold them for in the past. Cossie ones are 7.5" (again, correct me if im wrong) so cost more.

[Edited on 11/1/09 by JoelP]

londonsean69

posted on 11/1/09 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
quote:

Thats how i read bigrich at first but i dont think thats what he means.

I think (correct me if im wrong Rich) that the bolt on diffs are all the same outside whether LSD or open. Insides may be different, ive never opened one.

I would hope to find a full xr4x4 rear assembly for £150, thats what i sold them for in the past. Cossie ones are 7.5" (again, correct me if im wrong) so cost more.

[Edited on 11/1/09 by JoelP]

I 'think' that the 2wd cossie ones were 7.5", but the 4wd is the 7".

Sean

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.