Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Converting a Transit (or similar) into a 7 transporter
mr henderson

posted on 25/1/09 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Converting a Transit (or similar) into a 7 transporter

Anybody have any ideas, knowledge or opinions about this?

Looking at the price of trailers, it strikes me I would be just as well off with a transporter. Most of the existing ones are quite a bit bigger than necessary, though, so it might be an idea to start with a flatbed vehicle of some kind and modify it to the purpose.

Maybe it could even be covered, which would be good as I am often moving unfinished cars, although that would make access for strapping purposes more difficult.

All ideas welcome

John

blakep82

posted on 25/1/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
what about starting with a chassis cab like this? two pieces of U channel bolted on the back, with some U channel ramps would do the trick maybe?

though looking again, youd essentially have to build a frame on the back to support the U channel, basically build a trailer on the back...

[Edited on 25/1/09 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MkII

posted on 25/1/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
we've done a few of these at work ,youve got to get approach angles right because the bed is going to be higher than a trailer.the other thing we've had to be carefull of is weight it would be all to easy to make a good strong job but no good if it was over legal weight with a fiesta on its back. i appreciate the weight thing wont be so much of an issue if your going to carry mainley 7 type vehicles but this will make the angle of the ramps more of a problem hth.m.
GregSL75

posted on 25/1/09 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Ford Transit Forum is a good place to look.

That thread has about 3 or 4 builds on it.

Just beware that chopping the chassis and welding in an extra 2 foot almost certainly requires SVA regardless of what they say..

2.0 XE on GSXR TBs and Megasquirt

smart51

posted on 25/1/09 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GregSL75
chopping the chassis and welding in an extra 2 foot almost certainly requires SVA regardless of what they say..

What if you made a bolt on 2ft extension and moved the lights and number plate back a bit?

aerosam

posted on 25/1/09 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
Looking at the price of trailers, it strikes me I would be just as well off with a transporter.

Just a thought, a trailer may be cheaper in the long run as it doesn't have to be taxed, insured mot'd etc.

Had enough of this dictatorship known as LCB. Gone elsewhere, not coming back. Kiss my ass ChrisW.

GregSL75

posted on 25/1/09 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
I guess the reason they're welding in and lengthening the wheelbase is to keep the weight between the axles though.

2.0 XE on GSXR TBs and Megasquirt

mr henderson

posted on 25/1/09 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aerosam
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
Looking at the price of trailers, it strikes me I would be just as well off with a transporter.

Just a thought, a trailer may be cheaper in the long run as it doesn't have to be taxed, insured mot'd etc.

Well, the thing is, I really only use my Volvo for moving cars or other heavy stuff, so if I had a transporter I wouldn't need the Volvo any more(my wife has a car that can be used for shopping etc).

Interesting stuff so far on this forum, especially that Transit forum link, Greg

I think the ideal thing might be a Luton, if I could only find a way of getting a car up into it.

John

DIY Si

posted on 25/1/09 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Would a long set of ramps, maybe even folding or 2 piece ramps be an acceptable way of getting cars in the back? It's how my dad gets exotic cars in the back of his 17.5T truck at work. Maybe have the ramps on the truck either at an angle, or with some form of ram under the front edge to allow them to tilt.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

dinosaurjuice

posted on 25/1/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
how about like.......

THIS

sorry in advance for the stupid suggestion

lsdweb

posted on 25/1/09 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
I've toyed with this as I want to carry the car and tow the caravan (weight is th problem!)

What about a box van with 500kg tail lift with extensions - a 7 should fit inside. Nice and dry and pretty secure and OK for carrying part builts too!

Wyn

MikeR

posted on 26/1/09 at 12:30 AM Reply With Quote
NS Dev has been looking at this - a standard transit won't fit a seven, i can't remember if a box does fit.

As for getting a tail lift ..... the Se7ens.net group used to have the old westfield 7.5 tonne, tail lift van/truck. Did them proud apart from the high running costs and lower powered engine.

carpmart

posted on 26/1/09 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
This was my solution. I tow a caravan on the back with my race car inside!

You can't get enough width in a standard Transit or Sprinter or Iveco etc

I have some long ramps and a winch . The ramps are domed so its quite a level entry when the car crosses the threshold into the van.

I think its quite an elegant solution!

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=2Image089.jpg

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=2Image088.jpg

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

lsdweb

posted on 26/1/09 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
carpmart - I like!

Do you have any photos of the ramps etc.? What size engine does the van have and do you have any power / weight issues when towing? I won't start asking you about your caravan as I know I'll get slammed on here! :-)

carpmart

posted on 26/1/09 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
carpmart - I like!

Do you have any photos of the ramps etc.? What size engine does the van have and do you have any power / weight issues when towing? I won't start asking you about your caravan as I know I'll get slammed on here! :-)

The engine is the 311 with the 2.2 cdi engine so it 109 bhp stock which doesn't sound much but its a very torquey delivery and is 'adequate'. I have upped the power and torque with a 'dragon' piggy back fuel map which (allegedly) gives me around 155 bhp, about the same as the 316 flagship Sprinter model. Even standard, I can leave it in 5th and it pulls fully loaded with the caravan on the back up any motorway hill I have encountered!

Weight wise, its a 3.5 ton van and my race car has to weigh under 350kgs for the regs. I would imagine with welders, gennys, tyres, wheels, spare engine etc etc I probably have an 800kgs payload, so the van is circa 3000kgs loaded. I then tow a caravan (Sterling Europa which I bought new in 200) which is 1275kgs empty so near on 1500kgs with the sundries one carries. This gives a total train weight of circa 4500kgs. This seems to work fine and I get 300 odd miles to £60 of diesel. Actually, towing the caravan makes little difference to economy (performance) as the caravan sits in the hole punched in the air by the van! I tend to tow at around 65 which seems to be just the right speed for the rig. I think the economy is pretty good!

Sorry but I have no photo's of the ramps/winch!

All in all, I think its a pretty good solution!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

lsdweb

posted on 26/1/09 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks!

Also got a Sterling Europa!

Time for a scan of eBay!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.