Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: One Step Nearer!
Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/2/09 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
One Step Nearer!

Well, after much 'should I, shouldn't I' and god knows how many questions on here. I finally managed to fabricate the wishbones Need to tidy up the welds and finish fitting bushes but at least the worst is done. Felt so chuffed thought I'd put some of my efforts on here....

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

BTW, the angle is deceiving as the chassis is on the 'spit' and slightly tilted to the offside.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

cjtheman

posted on 1/2/09 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
well done mate i remember when i done mine one of the first job i done
the brackets on the chassis look close together in height
cheers
colin

wanted

sunny weather

sva pass 12/6/09
taxed 16/6/09

omega 24 v6

posted on 1/2/09 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
How did you get the rear bottom mounts to lie on the chassis. Mines were half hanging in space.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/2/09 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
How did you get the rear bottom mounts to lie on the chassis. Mines were half hanging in space.

I moved FU1 and 2 back to accomodate the wider gap between bushes 'cos I had 50mm longer bones I wanted to keep the ration between length and width as near original as I could. So the rear bracket was around 25mm further back. I've just got to add a couple of srengtheners behind the E member.

JB

omega 24 v6

posted on 1/2/09 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Ah so your bones are wider than book at the chassis side.
It was a problem area for me as I had std bones made already.
Be interesting to see how it handles. have you thought that you'll need longer shock absorbers and as they'll be at a lower angle than normal then your spring rates will need to be higher.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/2/09 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
I can't wait to find out how it handles but I have a feeling it's a little while off yet

Yep, I had thought about the shocks, and I also need to work out the best 'at rest' position for the car as there isn't a massive amount of travel, probably around 6" total at the hub. But I'll know better when I get it on the floor. Just got to re-assemble the diff and refit the half shafts.

mark chandler

posted on 1/2/09 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
The car will barely use 2" of travel so 6" is ample.

The only problem I have with mine is that in droop the springs are just starting to get loose. I suggest you rest the chassis 2" higher than you prefered ride hieght and place the shock at full extension at this point.

I,ve just welded up a new set of lower wide bones to partly to solve this issue.

Looking good, my first ones took a full day, now down to a couple of hours each.... not much progress for a couple of plates and two tubes.

NB/ shock pointing at the ball joint and as close to its a spossible is the ideal whatever the book says as you are no-longer using the bones as a lever, have a search on bent wishbones!

Regards Mark

Daddylonglegs

posted on 2/2/09 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandlerNB/ shock pointing at the ball joint and as close to its a spossible is the ideal whatever the book says as you are no-longer using the bones as a lever, have a search on bent wishbones!

Regards Mark

Thanks for that Mark, nice to have that sort of thing pointed out. I would never have thought of it myself

I must admit, it's easy to get paranoid about KPI, camber, caster, bump steer etc

So I'll just go with what I've got and see how it drives (if I ever get there!)

Cheers,
John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.