Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: welding course - any advice?
Paul (Notts)

posted on 19/2/09 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
welding course - any advice?

Finally got round to enrolling on a welding course ( 15 evening sessions ) at the local college. Any one got any good advice for a total novice..

Paul

Ps – also got my set of plans for my Terrapin (single seater ) with a good luck message from Alan Staniforth and his book. So this time next year I start building again.

[Edited on 19/2/09 by Paul (Notts)]

stevebubs

posted on 19/2/09 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
buy yourself an automatic mask
jacko

posted on 19/2/09 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Dont look at bright light with out a mask
get your self some welding gauntlets
and have fun
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
handyandy

posted on 19/2/09 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
hi,
i,m into my fifth week of a welding course at my local tech college, really enjoying it.

my tips are
make sure you have overalls & safety boots when you turn up on first night, at my college they sent 9 people home cos they didn,t have said items, even tho it was on the instructions about the course, they all came back the following week with correct safetywear.

2nd tip

enjoy yourself, don,t worry how much metal you use, thats what its there for.

3rd tip.
you will i promise you, take home your first decent weld, to show the mrs/family, cos i did

best of luck.
andy

Daddylonglegs

posted on 19/2/09 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
buy yourself an automatic mask

Seconded, got my youngest lad to buy me one for XMAS and wondered how the heck I managed without it.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

MikeR

posted on 19/2/09 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
We didn't need safety boots - but we all wore boots so i guess it didn't come up.

They gave us welding overalls and gloves.

For at home i'd go to welding shop, buy some gloves from there and wear them around the house a little to soften them up.

Looking back, i now wish i'd bought a solar powered welding helmet. It would have made life soooo much easier.

Good luck - if you do the same course as me, don't worry, the first 10 weeks are just messing around.

David Jenkins

posted on 19/2/09 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Heavy cotton overalls, decent gloves (don't buy expensive ones, just make sure they're comfortable), good boots that lace up above the ankle (weld splashes hurt when they go down your boot!). None of this need be expensive if you shop carefully (e.g. army surplus boots - don't need to be toe-cap jobbies)). Also, a leather apron is good - Draper ones are very cheap - and is very useful when you're using a wire brush in an angle grinder (the flying wires are evil!).

Apart from that, get the best auto helmet you can afford - if you have a BOC depot nearby, look out for their special offers. Otherwise there are plenty of decent ones on-line. I'm sure you'll get some recommendations here.

[Edited on 19/2/09 by David Jenkins]

rusty nuts

posted on 19/2/09 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Don't pick up the piece you have just welded! Have seen it done more than once. All the other suggestions are good
scootz

posted on 19/2/09 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Seen it done more than once?

I've done it... yep... more than once!

omega0684

posted on 19/2/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
can i ask how much it cost you to enrol?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 19/2/09 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Don't pick up the piece you have just welded! Have seen it done more than once. All the other suggestions are good

Painfull memories

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

thunderace

posted on 19/2/09 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
E N J O Y Y O U S E L F

get an autodark helmet and flame retardent overalls read the washing instructions on them most are hand wash only or 30deg only.
seen flame retardent overalls go an fire before after the guy boiled washed them a few times .

iank

posted on 19/2/09 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

Painfull memories

Flashbacks to catching a dropped soldering iron, by the hot end, though I only did it once

Tip: for MIG listen to the noise (frying bacon) it makes when the instructor is demonstrating. When your welder is making the same noise it's likely to be a good weld.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Mark Allanson

posted on 19/2/09 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
I disagree with lace up boots, if you are welding with any real amps, the spatter will burn through the laces in no time. Rigger boots are designed for the job, get a leather apron while you are at it.

Auto masks are great if welding alone, but in company the darken when someone else flashes up - very inconvenient.

I would get a conventional mask with gold plate lenses 9EW to 13EW - the gold reflects the light back onto the workpiece which is very useful. Screwfix do great gloves, get a heavy pair and some of the kidskin TIG gloves, they are great for light stuff.

I used to teach these courses at Cornwall College years ago - really good fun!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

snapper

posted on 19/2/09 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Practice, practice, practice
Try welding up some stuff for the car, take projects in, act dumb and get the instructor to do some of the fancy stuff for you, I did.

Arc is OK, Mig/Mag is relatively easy once you get the hang of it, gas is fantastic gives superb welds but takes forever to master and i blew loads of holes in the metal

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

martyn_16v

posted on 19/2/09 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Get comfy! No point in trying to put down a weld if you're in an odd position. Use both hands, rest your elbows/lower arm on something, and do a 'dry run' before each weld to make sure you can do it end to end without your elbow falling off the edge of the table. And get your head down so you can see the weld pool properly

JEPY

posted on 19/2/09 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely recommend the auto darkening mask for Mig/Tig/Arc.

I used the standard ones on the course I did and really struggled to see the workpiece properly until the arc formed. I've now got an auto darkening one - it's brilliant.

Decent gauntlets are a worthwhile investment - the more flexible they are, the more feel you have.

Finally, make sure you make use of the instructor. Mither and make sure you get a decent level of tuition. All too easy for them to leave you be and deal with everyone else if you struggle quietly!

J

handyandy

posted on 19/2/09 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
can i ask how much it cost you to enrol?

my course was free, they do a few free courses per year hoping pupils will sign up for doing the "next level" course or going for nvq qualifications which then cost, how much they cost , no idea.

andy

Paul (Notts)

posted on 20/2/09 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Mines just set me back £95 for 15 2hr sessions.

Paul

l0rd

posted on 20/2/09 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
As i am doing a welding course as well.

You need

Fire resistant overalls. (Machine Mart have for £25)
Safety Boots
welding gauntlets
Auto Dimming welding mask (Important) Otherwise you will get dissapointed quickly.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.