Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Do i need a baffled sump for BEC?
JT71

posted on 1/3/09 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Do i need a baffled sump for BEC?

Guys - another Q pls, do I need to get a baffle plate for my 2007 ZX10 engined westy? It hasn't at the moment, but i've heard a few horror stories about engines going pop without one fitted. At the moment I'm running R888's however am thinking about getting a spare set of slicks in the near future, I'm guessing this will be the deciding factor due to higher cornering speeds?

If so, is this a case of just buying a new sump with baffle plate fitted, and if so does anyone know of anyone who does them for the ZX10?

cheers!

JT71

ReMan

posted on 1/3/09 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I think the jury is still out for the ZX0, but that you are talking slicks, would certainly tip the balance towards doing something to prolong the engines life
Hellfire

posted on 1/3/09 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
From what I've seen, the ZX10R seems to cope quite well on trackdays without a baffle plate fitted. Try dropping Paul Fisher a U2U, I'm certain he didn't have one fitted and managed quite a few hard trackdays on R888's.

Also might be worth contacting Andy at AB performance. I'm sure he was looking at getting some made.

Personally, I'd fit a baffle to the ZX10R just for peace of mind on trackdays.

Phil

[Edited on 1-3-09 by Hellfire]

BenB

posted on 1/3/09 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
It depends what you plan on doing with the car. For road use you'll probably get away without one. For track day it's a sensible precaution as the G forces in corners will be higher.

Actually you're mentioning slicks so unless you're talking about "just-about-road-legal" slicks it'll be track day so yes. It's a good idea.

Either that or fit something like an accumate...

Steve Hignett

posted on 1/3/09 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the ZX10R had one in as standard, but I could of course be very wrong

Hellfire

posted on 1/3/09 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Steve, you may (or may not) be thinking of the slipper clutch which the ZX10R has. The standard oil pan has some strategically placed baffles to help prevent surge under heavy braking but not an actual baffle plate as standard.

Phil

JT71

posted on 1/3/09 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
what's an accumate?

JT71

Hellfire

posted on 1/3/09 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
I think he's referring to an Accusump

Phil

JT71

posted on 1/3/09 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
thanks, that makes more sense.

I think a baffle plate looks a lot less complex (and cheaper!).

JT71

PAUL FISHER

posted on 1/3/09 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
I ran my 2007 zx10r Indy without a sump baffle or billet sump,the engine does have a well designed oil pickup pipe,with baffles either side of it,which makes it good at control oil on for excelleration and braking when fitted in the bike,this in turn helps when the engine is turned around and mounted in the car to control oil in a lateral G situation,but then leaves it with poor oil control under braking and excelleration.
But saying all that, I have used the car on slicks on a few trackdays,its new owner has also tracked the car on slicks without any problems,but when I built the car, because it was a new engine no one supplied a sump baffle or a billet sump,so I did not have a choice,I just took the risk,but now Andy at AB performance supplies a billet sump for the new zx10r engines,so due to the high cost of these engines,due to the option being now available,my advice would be to fit one if your planning on doing a few trackdays in the future.

JT71

posted on 1/3/09 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
cheers paul, thats useful to know. the car is purely a track machine so with that in mind i'll give AB a call.

JT71

Meeerrrk

posted on 2/3/09 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
hi, my blade engine didnt have one, but after reading a few things on the net, and having a think about what was actually happening in relation to the bike application vs the car application of the engine, and then looking at the costs of a baffle vs a blown up engine, i rang AB performance and ordered one. Speak to Andy, he's a spot on bloke and wont sell you something you dont need.

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

Steve Hignett

posted on 2/3/09 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
I knew it had the slipper, but it was the fact that I'd heard that it "sort of" had a baffle.

It was a case of hearing from one person that thinks he knows a lot about engines, and TBH does, but is a tad lacking on the more modern engines! So I was reserving judgements for definite until I'd had a look at one myself!

Cheers for the correction...

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Steve, you may (or may not) be thinking of the slipper clutch which the ZX10R has. The standard oil pan has some strategically placed baffles to help prevent surge under heavy braking but not an actual baffle plate as standard.

Phil

BenB

posted on 2/3/09 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, meant an accusump Not sure what an accumate is. Sounds like an ovulation test kit!!!!
Mellow Matt

posted on 2/3/09 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking about this the other day, how much would it cost to put a baffle into a sump (or just buy a pre-baffled sump) for a bike engine? E.g. for an 893 'blade?
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 2/3/09 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Track Use - Baffle
Road Use - None required

If you like collecting oil-starved destroyed engine bits, get a GSXR....

PAUL FISHER

posted on 2/3/09 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
A baffle plate for a fireblade is only around £40 to £50,so for peace of mind its well worth it,they are a easy job just to fit yourself,again Andy at AB performance will sell you one,01449736633.

quote:
Originally posted by Mellow Matt
I was thinking about this the other day, how much would it cost to put a baffle into a sump (or just buy a pre-baffled sump) for a bike engine? E.g. for an 893 'blade?

Meeerrrk

posted on 2/3/09 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
think they are even cheaper than that tbh, but yes, AB can "hook you up"

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

Mellow Matt

posted on 3/3/09 at 12:58 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, that's good to know.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.