Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cycle wing aerodynamics
coozer

posted on 8/3/09 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Cycle wing aerodynamics

You know them guards with the CSR style hump at the back with a vent to release the air pressure between tyre and cycle wing? You know the ones I mean right?

Any handy peeps ever thought of producing add on ones for normal plain round guards?

Know where there are some already or pictures of said items?

Ta,
Steve

[Edited on 8/3/09 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

omega0684

posted on 8/3/09 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
could you not just cut some slits in the back of the mud guard?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 8/3/09 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
The hump in the back helps brake up the air flow over the top making it less like a wing, even without holes.

Caterham do a nice line in them I believe. I've bought stuff from their parts website and over the phone, no questions asked.

nitram38

posted on 8/3/09 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Carbon Mods do them a lot cheaper than catering van.............here

[Edited on 8/3/2009 by nitram38]

andrew.carwithen

posted on 8/3/09 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Carbonmods do them in C/F but at £200 a pair I suspect these are not what you're looking for. http://www.carbonmods.co.uk
As regards fibreglass, The nearest I could find were some vented ones on ebay (but they don't have the hump and are still over £100 a pair.)

Triton

posted on 8/3/09 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Blimey £200 a pair.... So if someone was to do them in woven cloth which makes them the same weight as cf and just as flexible there could be some interest?...I already do my standard wings in cloth.

[Edited on 8/3/09 by Triton]

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 8/3/09 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Say Mr. Mark, are you going to Detling?
A1

posted on 8/3/09 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
i was thinking of doing some nice big louvres in the rear section...
nitram38

posted on 8/3/09 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
Blimey £200 a pair.... So if someone was to do them in woven cloth which makes them the same weight as cf and just as flexible there could be some interest?...I already do my standard wongs in cloth.

Too late, I have two pairs on the MotaLeira
And they aren't flexible, but they are very thin and light.

james h

posted on 8/3/09 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Blimey £200 a pair.... So if someone was to do them in woven cloth which makes them the same weight as cf and just as flexible there could be some interest?...I already do my standard wongs in cloth.

Yes please!! I think they should be quite long at the front and back as well as the hump and vents... But then again I am no aero expert.

Triton

posted on 8/3/09 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Well the light weight wings I make almost twist in half and no cracky cracky gel coat either....hillclimbers like 'em

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Triton

posted on 8/3/09 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
Say Mr. Mark, are you going to Detling?

Hi Rich,
I can't make the show to have a stand there but if I get a chance and I need a day off I may just go up but it's a long trek from wet 'n windy Cornwall.

Mark

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

alistairolsen

posted on 8/3/09 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Triton, if you could replicate that wing style in GRP cloth I would be very interested
Triton

posted on 8/3/09 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Okey doke it's been added to the list of new bits to do although I have to get Mr G's beast sorted first.

Cheers,
Mark

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

C10CoryM

posted on 9/3/09 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
So silly question but what exactly is the intent of the wing shape on the cycle fender?
The louvers make sense to me, but the wing does not. I would guess you would do better to follow the LMP cars and run louvers only. Besides, how much downforce do you think you are going to get through your cycle wing bracket?

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

alistairolsen

posted on 10/3/09 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
its not a question of downforce so much as reducing lift!
nitram38

posted on 10/3/09 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Another way of reducing lift is to bring your wings further forward. Having them look by tilting them further back increases the drag and hence lift.
This leads to brackets needing to be made stronger and more weight.

Triton

posted on 10/3/09 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Or just fit a full body as a 7 is as aero dynamic as a lego brick with wheels.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

alistairolsen

posted on 10/3/09 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, having them starting more than halfway down the wheel will stop air going under them as much in the first place.

quote:
Or just fit a full body as a 7 is as aero dynamic as a lego brick with wheels.

Depends if you want to reduce Cd for high speed, or just stop it taking off

I dont care if mine will do 130 or 140, I do care if its lifting the nose at 110!

Triton

posted on 10/3/09 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Surely you mean 70mph sir!!! Yes officer honest

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

alistairolsen

posted on 10/3/09 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I was of course referring to tuning the handling for trackdays

[Edited on 10/3/09 by alistairolsen]

C10CoryM

posted on 11/3/09 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
I still don't see the point of the wing shaped fender . If you are trying to reduce the lift of the fender to reduce drag, doing so by adding a drag inducing wing doesn't make sense. I suppose youd make less dray with the wing than with the fender opening up though.

Tight fitting fenders that go as far forward/down as possible and louvers to release the air pumped in them from the wheel seems best to me.

I also wonder just how bad the locost aero has to be. The Prowler is 0.4**CoD if I remember right which still sucks, but is better than the 0.7 that the cats claim. Anyone know the Atoms cod?
I intend to play around with things on my locost once it hits the road. I have a few ideas that I think would drastically improve the aero.

Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

Rob Palin

posted on 11/3/09 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
The original wings that were re-styled to later become the CSR-style ones did reduce lift by nearly 70% whilst also reducing drag by a noticeable amount too. The square rear end was primarily intended for drag reduction and the extension around the front for lift reduction (in conjunction with the louvres which were subsequently deleted).

They don't reduce the lift by producing any downforce in themselves, just minimising the lift generated, which is largely why they reduce overall drag, not increase it.

The CD of a 7 is indeed around 0.68-0.76 but the lift coefficients are also +0.2 to +0.3 at the front and 0 to -0.1 at the rear. For a normal production car you'd aim for less than 0.1 at both ends, but preferably similar values for balance and preferably a slight bias to the front for increased stability. You don't always get that though.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.