Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Snetterton race videos
Andy D

posted on 24/3/09 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Snetterton race videos

Where are all the on board vids hiding? the only one I can find is this one HERE

No one else have an in car camera?

PAUL FISHER

posted on 24/3/09 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like he cut the best bit out at the end,the crash
Andy D

posted on 24/3/09 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
Looks like he cut the best bit out at the end,the crash

Well as far as I know, he didn't hit the white car, as Im pretty sure that's my bro (Rich D). and he lived to race again after the restart.

procomp

posted on 24/3/09 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy

The video is from the Christ the King sixth form college car that i should have been driving. Unfortunately due to a delay in the race licence it was being driven by the stand by driver BlackStig.

The accident was started by a driver going up the inside of RichD and clipping his back end. The result being cars going off every where trying to avoid the carnage on track. Unfortunately a spinning car and the college car had a glancing blow. Result of that was the other car with the front end badly damaged and the college car with two wheels on the drivers side ripped off. There was 14 students left with a not so happy start to there motorsport education. However the car is almost repaired and will be ready for Mallory on the 5th April with myself driving.

The restarted race was run without incident and there was some cracking racing in that and the second locost race which saw Scott M # 4 in his new LA take a win and Alister in his LA # 3 achieve a new lap record. So not a completely bad weekend.

The new Lewisham college BIO car on it's first shake down at Donnington.
The new Lewisham college BIO car on it's first shake down at Donnington.
[/img]

Cheers Matt

Ps Rich was flying over the weekend. Good results for Team Alied motorsport.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andy D

posted on 24/3/09 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The accident was started by a driver going up the inside of RichD and clipping his back end. The result being cars going off every where trying to avoid the carnage on track. Unfortunately a spinning car and the college car had a glancing blow. Result of that was the other car with the front end badly damaged and the college car with two wheels on the drivers side ripped off. There was 14 students left with a not so happy start to there motorsport education. However the car is almost repaired and will be ready for Mallory on the 5th April with myself driving.

Oops, missing wheels doesn't sound good. Rich emailed me a nice sequence of photos from that incident. Did look a bit hairy!

There must be some more race vids about somewhere though?

Should be down for Mallory to cheer on Team Allied.

Richd

posted on 24/3/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
I got off relatively light with a bent rear hoop, unfortunately what the vid doesn't show at the very end is that, lurking in the cloud of dust beyond my car is Jason Gibbons, which Blackstig could not have seen before it was too late.

It could have been a lot worse as both Jason and myself spun back across the track in front of 20 odd cars.

Cheers
Rich

allied.motorsport@hotmail.co.uk

www.alliedmotorsport.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rob Palin

posted on 24/3/09 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately my camera was included in the (long!) list of WTF? type really random things going wrong over the weekend (like my rev counter somehow switching to 6 cylinder settings and so reading crazy numbers). The camera got nothing but audio up until my dizzy cap popped itself off over a kerb in the 1st race then wouldn't play ball at all for the restart or the 2nd race.

It missed a few wild rides across the scenery avoiding various missiles being thrown at me by other cars (an entire starter motor!!!) and some fun racing too. Sorry.

Hopefully all teething troubles should be sorted for Mallory. Hopefully.

procomp

posted on 25/3/09 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Rob

Now that is just plain cheating that is. Putting a 6cyl engine in.

Hopefully all will have a little less trouble at Mallory with all the niggley problems ironed out. Ali's not going to be there as he's off on holiday ( when will partners / wife's learn to check the calender first before booking ) So qualifying should be a little less slippery
Also dose anyone know what happened to Vicky. I see from face-book she mentions having a meeting with the tyre barriers.

Cheers Matt

PS Did you find out who it was who donated a starter motor to your spares package. Very kind of them .

gib1et
Junior Builder

Posts 16
Registered 13/5/08

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a healthy points tally in the Locost Championship

posted on 25/3/09 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
As mentioned the front end of my car is badly damaged.

As a summary
1 x wheel
1 x brake disk
3 x ball joints
2 x wishbones
1 x steering rack
2 x front wings, including stays.
1 x steering column
Chassis damage including one of the rack mounts ripped clean off the chassis and the other one bent beyond repair.

I'm spending four hours every night after work in the garage trying to get it back together for Mallory. I've done the chassis repairs but mounting the rack correctly to get the geomemety somewhere close is proving to be a real pain as the chassis is no longer "factory fresh".

One small consolation is that by some miracle the rad is ok and the nose just has some gel coat missing.

Cheers
Jason

ironside

posted on 26/3/09 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Palin
It missed a few wild rides across the scenery avoiding various missiles being thrown at me by other cars (an entire starter motor!!!)

You didn't happen to catch it did you? Where was it?

quote:
Originally posted by procomp
PS Did you find out who it was who donated a starter motor to your spares package. Very kind of them .

Yeh, that was mine - sorry about that I didn't notice until I tried to drive it onto the trailer to go home after the second race and all that happened was the solenoid click.

I can't really explain it, all 3 bolts are missing and the heavy cable to it is still there but very beat up looking I must've been dragging it for awhile before it let go.

I'm surprised it managed all the starting required for practice and the first race without a hitch so I've arrived at the conclusion that clearly this happened when I was collected by a front runner in race 2 and not because of a shoddy build

Rob Palin

posted on 26/3/09 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Simon,

The first I saw of your start motor was as I came around Riches close behind another car. You had pulled to the inside edge of the track and all of a sudden something large appeared to drop out of the bottom of your car and dangled by a thread (the now-mangled cable?) throwing up sparks from the track surface before letting go as you braked for Sear.

It bounced across the road in front of me and I had the choice of turning left at the right hander or trying to hop over the inside kerb. I went left, over the run-off and a leeeettle bit of the green stuff. On the next lap it was still sitting in the middle of the track at Sear but I later heard it was sat outside race control along with various other bits of Locost that had been abandoned during the race.

Y'know it could actually have been quite a good bit of race strategy - dump the weight whilst out on track then stop & pick it up on the slowing down lap so you pass the post-race checks. Cunning ;-)

procomp

posted on 27/3/09 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Simon.

Now every one knows just how quick people are to lend each other spares for the cars in the locost championship. But you have to wait until they need them before doing so.

On a more serious note the old crossflows do tend to suffer from a few vibration problems particularly on ancillaries mounted to them. The starter bolts coming loose is no real surprise. Also keep a check on the alternator mounting bolts both bracket to block and alt to bracket. A dab of locktight means they can be secured and not having to over tighten them.

Cheers Matt

PS have a good look at the starter threads in the bell housing and make sure they are not striped or damaged.

Rob Palin

posted on 27/3/09 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Although i didn't get a particularly good look at the starter motor as it whistled towards my head (!) I did hear afterwards that it was sat outside Race Control but that the mounting brackets were still attached and it had sheared the whole lot off. I guess Simon would have spotted that since, however!
ironside

posted on 27/3/09 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
On a more serious note the old crossflows do tend to suffer from a few vibration problems particularly on ancillaries mounted to them. The starter bolts coming loose is no real surprise. Also keep a check on the alternator mounting bolts both bracket to block and alt to bracket. A dab of locktight means they can be secured and not having to over tighten them.

That's good advice, my new starter motor is in now with threadlock and spring washers under the bolt heads. A couple of other bolts were a little loose and have now been threadlocked and spring washered too.

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Palin
I did hear afterwards that it was sat outside Race Control but that the mounting brackets were still attached and it had sheared the whole lot off.

I never saw my original starter motor again. I only discovered it was missing after it got dark. There was nothing left of the old starter or the bolts on my car though but the bellhousing is completely intact, threads included.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.