Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bottom balljoint failure
JohnN

posted on 11/5/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Bottom balljoint failure

Bottom balljoint, ex Luego wishbone kit.

Has anybody else experienced this kind of failure, I always thought that the balljoint was loaded the wrong way around (ie pulling it apart, as opposed to compressing it)

Joint will have been on the road 3 yrs in July, but only 3k miles

Bottom ball joint failure
Bottom ball joint failure

Ball joint closeup
Ball joint closeup

procomp

posted on 11/5/09 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Not that unusual if it is the kind that is assembled from above and crimped over. The better desighn ones are assembled from below so they can not pull apart.

Identification wise if it has a domed bottom to the joint it is the crimped version. If it has a round but square profile it is the type assembled from below. Far better desighn.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 11/5/09 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
tbh looking at the pictures it appears it's the top one that has failed???

If it had failed, I'd have expected the rubber boot to be either sheared or popped off, how about a picture of the upper one?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 11/5/09 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
tbh looking at the pictures it appears it's the top one that has failed???

That was my first thought as well. Surely the only thing that could cause the upright to be leaning back at such an angle in that pic would be a problem with the upper wishbone/balljoint?

The Maxi balljoints are loaded in the wrong direction compared to their design application, though I haven't heard of any failures up till now.

JohnN

posted on 11/5/09 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't actually seen it myself, yet. The photos are from No. 1 son.

From memory, the balljoints came from a Luego wishbones "package" and were Austin Maxi? I'm fairly certain that they are the crimped version, I don't suppose there is an exact cross reference version for the "assembled for below" type?

Either way, I'm going to change both sides to the "assembled from below" type for safety's sake.

Any suggestions for one such balljoint to use

This occured whilst reversing to park, it could have been a lot worse if it had come apart whilst at speed

MikeRJ

posted on 11/5/09 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
It certainly doesn't look "failed" to me, though it's sitting probably at the limit of it's articulation, and for that reason alone would be worth replacing. If the tapered pin had sheared or the ball had popped out of the joint, the lower wishbone would be sitting on the inside of the wheel rim.

Don't forget the failures that procomp will have seen will have been in track cars that are hopping over kerbs at high speed most of their life. If these were a weak point on road cars I'm sure there would have been many more instances reported on here since so many kits use them.

[Edited on 11/5/09 by MikeRJ]

JohnN

posted on 11/5/09 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'll see the top joint myself, tonight, but here is a 3rd photo, which seeems to show that the castor has increased with the wheel rolling backward.
Photo taken from above the passenger side front wheel. If you imagine the whole stub axle assembly rotating clockwise, due to a loose or no joint at the bottom, that would give the view in the photo, with the spring against the top wishbone. - Or so I imagine, I'll see tonight
ball joint failure from above
ball joint failure from above

procomp

posted on 11/5/09 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Ah no pictures my end just a cross in the square. So assumed it was the bottom.

Cheers Matt

JoelP

posted on 11/5/09 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
id say its definately the top joint thats failed judging by the top picture - the top of the wheel has moved in a few inches.

If the bottom joint had failed if expect the car to be sat on the road.

Richard Quinn

posted on 11/5/09 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
I don't get that. The bottom of the upright is roughly where it should be in relation to the end of the bottom wishbone. The 1st picture shows the top of the wheel a lot further in than the NSF suggesting that it is a problem with the top joint. However, the point about the spring against the wishbone (or vice versa) is also valid (and slightly bizarre!)
JoelP

posted on 11/5/09 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
i dont think its touching the spring, merely an illusion. Likewise the top bone isnt pointing back more than usual. Top joint is out (id guess the nuts come off, but it might've twisted out under breaking), and the wheel is held there because the top bone is resting on the wheel itself, or maybe the brake disc.

I want a prize if im right though!

adithorp

posted on 11/5/09 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Has the top wishbone rear mounting gone? Can't see properly from the picture but the front one looks a bit twisted.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

MikeRJ

posted on 11/5/09 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Has the top wishbone rear mounting gone? Can't see properly from the picture but the front one looks a bit twisted.

adrian

Looks a bit like it, but I reckon that's just the camera angle.

Are these Sierra uprights? I've read it can be quite tricky to tighten the upper balljoint into the mushrooms?

g.gilo

posted on 11/5/09 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
ball joint

from 1st pic i think its the top joint, if the uprights are siera which top hats are u using, central or offset taper.
i changed to cortina because of lack of articulation using sieara u/rs.

Liam

posted on 11/5/09 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Definately not the bottom joint as it's still transfering that corner's weight and compressing your spring. As somebody else mentioned, if the bottom BJ went, the end of your bottom wishbone would be scraping the floor or close to!

Also - if either BJ has gone and the upright moved, how could this have moved the top wishbone against the spring? Last time I checked the coilover's weren't attached to the upright! . Either that top view picture is an illusion and the wishbone is not in contact with the spring (although it does look pushed hard up against the damper body), or you must have wishbone movement. Maybe caused by the top joint failing and the upright rotating backwards and smacking the wheel rim into the wishbone?

Dunno, can't wait to hear the verdict . And I hope it's nothing to serious .

Liam

JohnN

posted on 11/5/09 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I've had a quick look and the top ball joint is OK. It's a Sierra hub with eccentric mushrooms. They haven't moved and the ball joint is closed up and tight.

We pushed the car forwards under cover for the night, and when the steering was centred (it was half a turn away in the pictures) it all straightened up. Very Strange.

The problem originally happened on full lock, when about to reverse, there was a loud bang and the wheel fell over, as in the pictures.

Straightening up the lock and pushing the car forward appears to get everything back into position.

When I get some time I'll take a jack and take the weight off the wheel and see what is loose. However, it still looks very much like the bottom ball has pulled partly out.

Can anybody remember what the original ball joint type is, it was a Luego wishbone set for a Velocity XT. I seem to remember Austin Maxi?

Is there a better (as in cannot PULL out) alternative. I feel the need to change both sides.

[Edited on 11/5/09 by JohnN]

Mad Dave

posted on 11/5/09 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
That photo makes me think the top rear wishbone mounting has failed. It could be the bracket being torn off the chassis or the chassis itself failing??? What ever it is, those mounting brackets aren't lined up anymore
Dusty

posted on 11/5/09 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Bottom wishbone rear inboard end come undone?
MikeRJ

posted on 11/5/09 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnNHowever, it still looks very much like the bottom ball has pulled partly out.

If that is the case, it doesn't tie in with the angle that the upright is at. If the balljoint has partly pulled out, this is likely just a symptom of another failure, i.e. something has broken and forced the balljoint beyond it's articulation range.

Either the end of the bottom wishbone has moved forwards, or the end of the top wishbone has moved back. Only this can explain the angle of the upright and the relative position of the spring with the top wishbone.

Since the upper balljoint is intact, I think a close inspection of the chassis end of the wishbones and the brackets is called for. If pushing the car forward gets everything aligned, then pay particular attention to rear lower wishbone mounting as per Dusty's suggestion (coincidently the only one that's hidden by bodywork...)

[Edited on 11/5/09 by MikeRJ]

Liam

posted on 11/5/09 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Dont see how you can still think it's the lower BJ?! For the wheel/upright to move that much the bottom BJ would have to have pulled apart completely and moved a few inches. Yours hasn't even torn the rubber boot.

And that still doesn't explain your spring being hit. You absolutely must have a wishbone moving, and as the last two posts I'm going with lower rear mount. It's either lost its bolt, the bracket has come off the chassis, or the bush tube has come off the bone.

I'll bet you a tenner

Daddylonglegs

posted on 12/5/09 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
Going with the 3rd picture, my money is on the bottom rear pivot bolt having vacated the vehicle.

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

procomp

posted on 12/5/09 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Still can not see pictures. But it is worth noting that on some of the Luego's when they where setup with a decent amount of Castor the top wishbone was very close to the spring. So much so it restricted it to the use of the smaller 1.9 Id springs rather than 2 1/4's.

Cheers Matt

procomp

posted on 12/5/09 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Having just searched the web for photos of the two different desighn of the lower joint. Surprisingly i can only find pictures of the better desighn type. Even the suppliers who supply the poor desighn type will not show pictures that will identify it as such. And some even use the picture of the better desighn although supply the poor desighn.

Anyhow here is a pic of the BETTER designed one where the joint is assembled from below so as not to allow the joint to pull apart.

Description
Description
[/img]

As i said earlier the POOR desighn ones have a domed bottom to them. Will try and get a picture later as i am sure i have one that has pulled out somwhere.

Cheers Matt

mad-butcher

posted on 12/5/09 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
what's the QH part number please

tony

MikeRJ

posted on 12/5/09 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad-butcher
what's the QH part number please

tony

QSJ602S

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.