Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Helmets
leemarkadams

posted on 9/6/09 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Helmets

Hello all, juat wondered where the best place to get a helmet to use with the MK is? Needs to be for road use (when required) and also for track days.

Thanks

Lee

02GF74

posted on 9/6/09 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
motorcycle shop or Lidl? - you really should try it on as head shape varies as indeed helmets.

probably not as critical as on a motorbike but you still woudn't want it to come off.

paul the 6th

posted on 9/6/09 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
aye lidl seem to be doing good stuff (for the money) lately...

have a look for your nearest "Hein Gericke" store, basically a motorcycle supermarket which sells leathers, helmets, gloves, bits for your bikes etc... I've yet to meet a HG staffer who's not enthusiastic/helpful in equal measures. If you tell them you're after something for use in the car I'm sure they'll point you towards some of the more cost effective stuff (i.e. not shoei or arai top quality stuff > £400). You can get a decent lid from the likes of AGV for £100 - £150 these days, the worlds largest helmet manufacturer last I heard

hth

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
DanP

posted on 9/6/09 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
M&P are doing some really good deals in their clearance section at the moment, i just bought a spare helmet from them for £25.

Cheers,
Dan

GH1985

posted on 10/6/09 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
For a good quality locost helmet I can thoroughly recommend the Oxford Box BX2. Received 4* rating in Sharp test.

Received mine a few weeks ago and very impressed with the quality.

Cheapest place is Minihaha.co.uk at £30.

http://www.minihaha.co.uk/acatalog/Motorcycle_bearings.html[/url]

http://www.oxprod.com/index.php?pg=55

Graham

bigbravedave

posted on 10/6/09 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
I would never normally reccomend a second hand lid, but there does seem to be alot of folk on ebay who have tryed one on in a shop then bought one on-line and found it doen't fit properly, comfortable or just a bit noisy. I picked up a worn once, agt ti-tech with all its original packaging and spare visor for £60! its imaculate

the idea of a second hand lid isn't good sense on a bike, but in some cars I can't see a problem

bimbleuk

posted on 10/6/09 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Be ware if you are intending to do trackdays several of the organisers are starting to insist at least BS approval and may start to apply the same requirements as sprints at least.

I have both a Lidl helmet for road use and an Arai for trackdays.

[Edited on 10-6-09 by bimbleuk]

dhutch

posted on 10/6/09 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Theres also this place.
http://www.v2sport.com

Cant vouch for there quality at all, but since andy sent me a link ive been thinking about buying one on and off.

Daniel

oldtimer

posted on 10/6/09 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
The cheapest road/race fully covering all track/race requirements helmet I know of is the Sparco Pro Jet which you should be able to get for £175. Be careful about OMP Jet helmets being sold for about £70 as they will become unusable on some tracks from the end of this year. BS6658-85A FR Approved is what you want if you are doing motorsport.
tomblyth

posted on 10/6/09 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
don't buy online as you cant try it on ! a well fitting cheap helmet is better than a badly fitted expensive lid ! go to a shop and try on more than one make of lid ! you should not be able to move your head inside the lid but it should also be comfy! any small pressure point on your head which seem insignificant in the shop will give you headaches and discomford after a while on the road/track! there were approved lids on sale at the last BSB meeting starting at £20 !

where are you?

iank

posted on 11/6/09 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
motorcycle shop or Lidl? - you really should try it on as head shape varies as indeed helmets.

FWIW My local Lidl still has open face helmets with visor for £23 at the moment. Didn't catch the labels but there was a TUV mark on there, so fine for keeping bees out of your eyes on the road.

[Edited on 11/6/09 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.