Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone know anything about pumps?
tegwin

posted on 6/7/09 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone know anything about pumps?

I have a 20 year old twin scroll pump used to feed a domestic shower....

The modern replacement is shite and simply cant cope... it picks up air somehow and then stalls and stops pumping...

So I want to fit the old one back inplace which worked fine..

However, the shaft seals behind the impellor are toast!

It has some crazy ceramic/rubber seal and then a spring seal thing....

Anyone know anything about pumps/shaft seals and care to comment if I post photos of the offending seals.... I have no idea where to get replacments.. (if I can atall!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

g.gilo

posted on 6/7/09 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
pump

hi
try a local bearing supplier, they normally
stock or can get water pump seals, including the ceramic type
graham

tegwin

posted on 6/7/09 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm... there is one near where I work, I could go ask...

It looks like this:

How do these seals work? Does the spring bit sit still and the shaft spins on the rubber inside it? I cant figure out what is sposed to move and what is not!

[Edited on 6/7/09 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

g.gilo

posted on 6/7/09 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
pump

forgot to say, my local contact is steve at
g.e.m. rewinds. warwick. sorry dont have number, is silencer ok?
graham

tegwin

posted on 6/7/09 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the "silencer" is going well thanks.... my hearing on the other hand is totally FUBAR!

g.gilo

posted on 6/7/09 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
ears

i have now got my blade engined car on the road, with a aftermarket titanium silencer, lovely but very loud.
les g

posted on 6/7/09 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
the white face sits against the black face on the spring bit
the spring keeps pressure on these two faces and the bit behind the spring normally seals the shaft
the white face and its rubber seal remain stationary while all the other bits rotate with the shaft
HTH les g

t16turbotone

posted on 7/7/09 at 06:10 AM Reply With Quote
these are ceramic seals, quite expensive, used on most qualitiy pumps. There are two drawbacks with this type of seal, the first is the fact that if the pump runs dry even for the shortest time, the seals will fail due to the fact that the pumped water is the lubricant for the seal, ive seen these seals fail after just a few moments due to water starvation within the pump. The main reason for pump starvation on pumped shower systems is incorrect installation in the first place, as the water within the cylinder is heated, tiny air bubbles rise to the top of cylinder (inside) these small bubbles end up in pump head causing cavitation and surging, there are various 'flanges' that when fitted to cylinder stop this problem
tegwin

posted on 7/7/09 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Its weird you mention that...

The origional cylinder did not have a "flange" fitted and yet this puump worked perfectly for 20 years or so...

The new pump simply can not cope even with a flange.... it just sucks in air from somewhere and overspeeds the impellor....

Totally rubbish!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.