Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Another skinflint.....
pekwah1

posted on 30/8/09 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Another skinflint.....

Hi guys,

I'm reading up and thinking about a locost...
Main problem is i don't have a welder and have never welded in my life, so ideally i'm looking for a weldless solution!

I've been thinking about buying a ready welded chassis and then doing the rest.

If i go down this route, what stage would i need to get the chassis in to avoid any future welding, and i'm assuming i will need it produced for accomodating a specific engine/drivetrain?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Regards,
Andy

BenB

posted on 30/8/09 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Not having a welder isn't a deal breaker if you buy in a chassis / suspension components etc.

If you have to get some welding done for modifications for an unusual engine installation you can always get a mobile welder to come out and weld it in-situ.....

pekwah1

posted on 30/8/09 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Well being my first seven ripp off, i was planning on trying to keep it fairly simple.
Probably looking at one that i can get a chassis and find a donor car that i can use most of the parts from, so probably looking at a pinto engined sierra jobby, or maybe a zetec engine, or maybe an mx5 for engine and drivetrain....

handyandy

posted on 30/8/09 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
i learned to weld in january this year, & now my Haynes Roadster (self made chassis) is approx 60% built,
learn to weld if you can as it always comes in handy in the future,

andy

ashg

posted on 30/8/09 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
as andy said. learn to weld. its not only good for building cars. it opens up a whole new world/level of fabrication and ability to fix things that would have other wise been thrown out or purchased at a silly price.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

mad4x4

posted on 31/8/09 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
Agreed - Learn to weld, But learn to weld ith a MIG not a stick welder(ARC)....

A Sitck welder will not weld thin plate easily and takes a LOT more skill. IMHO

Buy a chassis and put the recommend engine in from that Manuf. and you should be good.

Only welding I did was my own engine brackets and some small tags for the Brake hoses at the front. Everything else I welded was because I HAD a welder and could weld.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

lotusmadandy

posted on 31/8/09 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
I agree completely,you must learn to weld.
I did and though my mk chassis came with
averythng in the correct place,i have made a multitude of other items for myself and my mates.
But as already said buy a mig it is far easier than arc.

Andy

maartenromijn

posted on 31/8/09 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
One more saying: get yourself a decent welder and learn to weld. Not those small hobby welders with a 2 liter gasbottle.

I have been thought the basics of welding in theory during my bachelor. I have thought myself for the practical side. Definately do-able.

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

David Jenkins

posted on 31/8/09 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
If you really, really don't want to weld, have a good look at Westfield's basic cars - not as expensive as you may think, and they really are bolt-together jobs.

I can't speak for the better makes of Locost-type cars - MK, Mac#1, MNR - as I've never built one. However, I think that they'll need a bit more work than a Westie - but maybe not welding.

les g

posted on 31/8/09 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
check out Talonmotorsport
hes doing the chassis at a very good price hes on ebay and Haynes roadster forum
cheers les g

RK

posted on 1/9/09 at 01:16 AM Reply With Quote
I must wish you the best of luck building a car on very little money. It will always cost more than you plan. I get the impression that learning to weld may save a few pennies down the road though.
pif

posted on 1/9/09 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
dont worry, i could not weld when i started out and still can not weld now after 2 years on the road. Got my full chassis from MK and that only, did not buy even the starter kit as i couldnt afford it. Got mine a bit cheaper by waiting then got one some one else backed out of but had to have their designated engine which was fine as it was on my shortlist.

Only needed welding twice during build for prop mount in tunnel and seatbelt monts on rear bulkhead. Got a local fabrication place to call round and do at home, 20 to 30 minutes a time and £40 each time. Cant complain.

I thought i would like to learn and make my own but didnt like the thought of welding not being godd enough and failing SVA 3 years later on somethig that would be really hard to rectify like chassis rails. Also cost of lessons, cost of steel, cost of powder coat, cost of welder, my time cutting and re cutting and waste and cock ups and all the rest, to go buy for £1k ish was an easy decision

1 last thing, make sure you know what colour you may want a finished chassis to be. Had to comprimise on mine, and never been keen but it was a bargain.

pif
good luck with the build

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

RK

posted on 3/9/09 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, colour: don't do white. Do black. There is a reason everyone else does that too.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.