Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1.8 CVH Engine
AdrianH

posted on 19/11/09 at 12:50 AM Reply With Quote
1.8 CVH Engine

My CVH engine is running fine but I am keeping eyes open on ebay for a cheep second 1.8 CVH engine and have only noticed one at the moment and at a price I would never pay.

I know they are not that popular an engine, are people just scrapping them?

Do the cam shafts wear out on these with the roller followers or do they last for ever?

Would like to know your views on the engine, if you use them what mods you have done?

Does fitting bike carbs do that much as I was led to believe it is the head that is restrictive?

The 90'ish BHP will be fine I think for me and it will be a while before I consider an upgrade.

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

dhutch

posted on 19/11/09 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
I have a CVH in mine and there a few others with them tho not huge numbers.

Mines a 1600 block and head which i was sold as bored and stroked to 1.9 (although i have no papered work seems to go well to suggest it proberbly is) agian i dont know what other work has been done, although it has a power enginering cam, cast rocker cover, alu bellhousing etc. Fuelling is twin dellorto 40's, Ignition is now via v4 megajolt,

Its the only engine ive had in a seven (its my first seven) but im certainly fairly happy with it for now. Other than the current starter motor woes as per my other thread.

I cam wear is far from unheard of partiluarly on cyd 4 where i think theres a slight lubracation issue, tho that may not effet the 1.8 with its rollers.

edit
http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/CVH.htm
Worth a read if you havnt already found it.

Daniel

[Edited on 19/11/2009 by dhutch]

FASTdan

posted on 19/11/09 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
what cvh have you got in at the mo?

Not sure i'd swap a 1.6 for a 1.8?

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Surrey Dave

posted on 19/11/09 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Get Ready!

Most comments on here will be negative , due to perforomance in Sierra with silly little Pierburg carb, + not many tuning parts available.

Mine has , bike carbs , megajolt ignition, 1mm of the head face , and some sensible cleaning up of ports and combustion chambers.

Could do with a light flywheel but is quite respectable , low maintenance engine.

I've had a 2.0 Zetec waiting about 3 years to replace it , but it hardly seems necessary, whitestu replaced his and has said the difference is not that great.

Having said that it is an easy swap because they are similar layout.

[Edited on 19/11/09 by Surrey Dave] Rescued attachment Carbs On Car 6 vvvsml.jpg
Rescued attachment Carbs On Car 6 vvvsml.jpg

Bluemoon

posted on 19/11/09 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
^^ Agreed! Mines now on the road with the CVH.. So we are about, tuning options are limited, but this is locostbuilders.. At some point if I can find a spare engine I may have a go at gas-flowing the head with a DIY flow bench, should be fun..

Mine is a high mileage example, ~100K and I do wonder how worn it is, so am also on the look out for a "spare" engine..

Dan

avagolen

posted on 19/11/09 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, I am also going to fit a 1.8 CVH in my Fury.
Q1, I have a pair of Dellorto 40's and a set of ZXR 600 too choose from. If either of these are being used, what jets and chokes are you running with.
Q2, Are there any megajolt maps available rather than starting with a clean sheet.

Len.

yellow melos

posted on 19/11/09 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
I have a 1.6 CVH in my Dutton, did have twin downdraft 40's on them but changed for injection, runs a lot smoother with injection but does not have the kick...

but has a more comfortable drive, was constantly spinning the wheels with the 40's

whitestu

posted on 19/11/09 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
I started with a 1.8CVH in my Indy. It was a good low mileage engine and the car went well.

I've now swapped for a Zetec which is better but not massively so.

I let my two perfect CVH engines for £15 if I remember right.

Stu

AdrianH

posted on 19/11/09 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Well thanks for the responses, so a few about. I am using the 1.8 with Pierberg carburettor and the standard esc hybrid ignition system, because it was all on the donor.

I did find the Puma site some time ago and apart from mentioning using the 1.8 bottom end with 1.6 head and porting did not find any way to advance the performance in later stages.

I hope my car will pass retest on Monday and following that can get some decent weather to try it out on the road.

Nice to know there are bike carb users on the 1.8 to pester at a later stage.

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

dhutch

posted on 24/11/09 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
As for megajolt maps, theres maybe no millions about. But i have a perfectly funcational map which i am using that i got from somone else with a simular CVH also on twin carbs.

PM me if you want a copy.

Daniel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.