Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: re iva after some body mods?
Eternal

posted on 18/3/10 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
re iva after some body mods?

Hay guys my plan is to build a "by the book" car from a donor sierra but after its done and i have had a bit of fun driving it for a while. I would like to rework the roll bar and also maby install a window with wipers heaters ect. Would that mean i have to re iva the car? As i would really have to change any of the chassis.... advice welcome! Really i just dont want the hastle of having to have a window to start with but would not mind one in the long run
Humbug

posted on 18/3/10 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
As long at the chassis itself is not changed, then you'll be fine. Many people add a screen after SVA/IVA.
adithorp

posted on 18/3/10 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
No, you wouldn't have to reIVA.

You could build it with the wiper motor and spindles but no arms and blades and they wouldn't be tested at IVA as long as there'e no screen. That way you wouldn't have to mess about under the scuttle later. Lots of cars are put through that way and then have the screen fitted later.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

wilkingj

posted on 18/3/10 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
As long at the chassis itself is not changed, then you'll be fine. Many people add a screen after SVA/IVA.

Lol! This will be the 4th year on the road without a windscreen of any sort! I got to like the bike helmet and wind in your face driving!

Maybe one day I will fit one.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 18/3/10 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug

Lol! This will be the 4th year on the road without a windscreen of any sort! I got to like the bike helmet and wind in your face driving!

Maybe one day I will fit one.

I lasted 4 years without a screen. Must be old age creeping on!

Brommers

posted on 18/3/10 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
I've definitely never modified the chassiseseses on my cars, so I haven't had to re-SVA or re-IVA them.

OK, so sometimes I've had to repair them, after an accident. An accident with an angle grinder, that is, that I was holding and accidentally slipped. And the repairs weren't always *identical* to what went before. But they definitely weren't modifications. Ooooooo no.

Dusty

posted on 18/3/10 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
You could build it with the wiper motor and spindles but no arms and blades and they wouldn't be tested at IVA as long as there'e no screen.
I think that's risky. If the car has wiper motor/spindles/demist slots then it's been designed to have a windscreen. Simply taking it off or not putting it on doesn't exempt it from testing. The wipers are faulty if you fit as far as spindles and then don't put arms and blades on them. There were SVA fails on these avoidances. It's taking the P and the inspectors don't like it. They know many locosts run genuinely screenless and have no problem with that but deliberate avoidance tends to get them in a less favourable mood.

Bluemoon

posted on 18/3/10 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
My opinion on this differs from most, I would fit the screen/wippers and demist now, and pass the test with them. If you do this you will need to be very carful and follow the IVA manual ect.

I found this the best way for me for the following reasons:

1) Fitting afterwards is harder than it looks as making space for the heater wiper motor etc is problematic.

2) Someone-else checks over the installation to see if it's safe..

3) I'd probably not get around to it after the SVA!

Passed SVA no problem..

Most will tell you to fit after.

Dan

stevebubs

posted on 18/3/10 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
What would be the benfit of not taking the screen through IVA?

The only thing I can think of is ability to demist.

iank

posted on 18/3/10 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
What would be the benfit of not taking the screen through IVA?

The only thing I can think of is ability to demist.

Worries about exterior projections, properly marked glass, wipers, and demist mainly I think.

Also a lot of people talk brave and save the weight at build time, then when they are actually using the car they decide a wind/rain break would be a nice idea.

[Edited on 18/3/10 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

adithorp

posted on 18/3/10 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty
quote:
You could build it with the wiper motor and spindles but no arms and blades and they wouldn't be tested at IVA as long as there'e no screen.
I think that's risky. If the car has wiper motor/spindles/demist slots then it's been designed to have a windscreen. Simply taking it off or not putting it on doesn't exempt it from testing. The wipers are faulty if you fit as far as spindles and then don't put arms and blades on them. There were SVA fails on these avoidances. It's taking the P and the inspectors don't like it. They know many locosts run genuinely screenless and have no problem with that but deliberate avoidance tends to get them in a less favourable mood.

My only experience of this was one car going through SVA at the same time as my test (I've got screen,wipers,etc anyway) and another when I went back for re-test. Both passed with only a check that the covers over the spindles had the right radius.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Eternal

posted on 18/3/10 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
yeah i think to be honest its probably better to do it the first time. At least then its done for good! i dont suppose anyone knows of any windscreens that are more curved rather than the flat ones?
iank

posted on 18/3/10 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
For a narrow curved windscreen I'd be measuring up AH Sprite/MG Midget.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.