Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What is a reasonable price for floor tiling?
smart51

posted on 23/3/10 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
What is a reasonable price for floor tiling?

We're having a small extension built and the plans didn't include tiling. We've bought 70 32cm square tiles (I worked out we need 63) and the builder said he would quote for fitting them. He's come back at £600 (inc VAT) plus grout and adhesive. I think that is beyond taking the p155 so I want a realistic price for labour to go back to him with.

BenB

posted on 23/3/10 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
If the surface is flat and few of them need cutting they're taking the mickey. I'd work it out on a day rate. If they need cutting to go round things it'll suddenly start taking time which will cost but if it's a square room with nothing to get in the way and the surface is flat to begin with £600 for labour alone is taking the mick big time.
I'd say one day to lay the tiles, let the adhesive cure overnight, grout the next day. Job done. £200 max (personally).

But as said depends very much on tiles which need cutting. I recently did my bathroom install and it took as long to cut one tile to go round a shower outlet as it did to install about 40 tiles!!

austin man

posted on 23/3/10 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Leg and lift I think. He is obviously charging you his day rate which will be slower than that of a tiler therefore dearer. I would get a tiler to quote he will probably do a better job as well

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

smart51

posted on 23/3/10 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
The room is brand new and has no furniture in it, but does have a drain for a toilet and a hatch for a grid to cut around. The floor is screeded and has a self leveler poured on it so should be flat and clean. Tiles will obviously need to be cut to the edges but as the skirting boards are not fitted yet, there's room for tolerance as the edges will be hidden.

main82000

posted on 23/3/10 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
tiler price

hi there
just a little thought for ya my mates a self employed tiler that we work with and he charges 200 a day or 25 per square meter which ever works out best to him

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chris mason

posted on 23/3/10 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
without seeing the job it's hard to quote for, but you will probably pay somewhere between £15 and £25 per m2
you've got 6-7 m2 max

So based on that anything from £90-£175 labour only.
A good tiler could do a good job on that and still have it done in about 4 hours max.

Chris

big_l

posted on 23/3/10 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
hi i would go to your local topps tiles and ask them they have approved contractors
sounds like your job is quite easy so i wouldnt expect any more than £250

no with regars to grout and all other stuff i can help you get it at trade prices from your local tops tiles drop me a txt if you want the info mate dont fancy posting it on line as i dont want everyone using my account lol gets a bit suss if 1000 people use it on the same day ...

have you thought about karndean!!!!!

im a floorlayer/carpetfitter and in my oppinion its loads cleaner warmer and neater...

drop me a txt if you need trade info

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

bigfoot4616

posted on 23/3/10 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
^^^
i hope you get a very good discount on the Bal stuff there, costs me half what they list it at.
the Bal stuff is good but i usually use Ultra now.

wouldn't bother with topps own adhesives.

hard to say without seeing the job but i would charge anything from £225 to £300 for labour.
tile type also has a bearing on price, natural stone would cost quite a bit more.

twybrow

posted on 23/3/10 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Do it yourself Colin! Tiling was one of the more satisfying jobs when doing up our house. You feel like you are making real progress and you can get away with being pretty crap and still getting a good finish!
macc man

posted on 23/3/10 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds a little bit expensive to me I would charge about £300 including materials. All depends on number of cuts and type of tile.
smart51

posted on 24/3/10 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
I left a note for the builder asking him to ring me. It said I thought £175 + materials for the tiling and £80 per man day for painting was fair. He just rang me and we agreed that I'd pay them their standard hourly rate of £22.50 each for 1 day or £360 all in for the tiling. They weren't sure they could do it in a day but I wouldn't budge. I'll paint myself. I still think its too much. Their £600 original quote is almost £10 per tile, and suggests they think it will take them 27 hours to lay 60 odd tiles. I don't think so.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.