Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New F1 rules
BenB

posted on 25/6/10 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
New F1 rules

What does anyone think?
Personally I think the adjustable wing is a bit of a stupid idea. I know the car in front has the advantage by virtue of driving through clear air but surely then the important thing is to be in front
I think giving the person behind an artificial advantage is just going to make for a very boring season......
Why don't they just go the whole hog and give any driver out in front by more than 20s an automatic drive through penalty? It would also make races closer but it would have nothing to do with the core elements of F1 IMHO.

Personally I'd like F1 to be a race. I quite like the double diffusers, f-ducts etc etc. However the idea that a "rear wing adjust switch" gets turned on after two laps and then you can activate it at certain bits of a track? Seems a bit forced.....

Personally I'd also get rid of blue flags..... Why should cars being lapped have to move over? Still track position they're giving up.....

designer

posted on 25/6/10 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
The modern 'travelling circus' F1 is rubbish.

Remedy is simple.

Get rid of aerodynamic aids.

The public are not bothered whether the cars go around a corner at 70 instead of 110mph!

They want to see racing!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 25/6/10 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
The public are not bothered whether the cars go around a corner at 70 instead of 110mph!

then why don't they just go and watch minis racing instead?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

loggyboy

posted on 25/6/10 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
The answer is to allow aerodymaic aids that dont distupt airflow as badly.
(ground effects, the famous brabham fan from the 70s, etc etc) Im sure the hot shot designers could come up with a million and one new ideas to create downforce that didnt disrupt airflow as they do now.

bartonp

posted on 25/6/10 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Remove all rules except car min weight and engine size. Let the quickest (reliable) car over the distance win!
BenB

posted on 25/6/10 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bartonp
Remove all rules except car min weight and engine size. Let the quickest (reliable) car over the distance win!

It is tempting isn't it

Ninehigh

posted on 25/6/10 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
quote:

It is tempting isn't it

We'd have to have some rule where they're not allowed to strip it down between races, so the car that does the last race is effectively the car that starts the first race. That'll enhance reliability

bartonp

posted on 25/6/10 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
quote:

It is tempting isn't it

We'd have to have some rule where they're not allowed to strip it down between races, so the car that does the last race is effectively the car that starts the first race. That'll enhance reliability

Why? Car should only have to last one race. Cut it too fine & it won't finish at all....

Rob Palin

posted on 25/6/10 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
The answer is to allow aerodymaic aids that dont distupt airflow as badly.
(ground effects, the famous brabham fan from the 70s, etc etc) Im sure the hot shot designers could come up with a million and one new ideas to create downforce that didnt disrupt airflow as they do now.

+1

Underbody tunnels but a minimum ground clearance and no skirts, plus single-element wings at the front & back for balance, aesthetics & to increase drag so they don't go "too fast" on the straights (a concern of the FIA in case they arrive at a corner too fast but get brake failure!).

will121

posted on 25/6/10 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Couldn’t agree more, I went to the Lotus festival at Snetterton last week where they had 40 years of Lotus F1 cars and you look at some of the things Colin Chapman tried in F1 from 4 wheel drive, 4 peddles unique twin chassis and more, I think it would be amazing what a F1 car would be like if the rules enabled way out ideas

iank

posted on 25/6/10 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

My 35ft wide car is going to walk it if I get on pole

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

plantman

posted on 25/6/10 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
minimum 6 pit stops per race

no rear wing

skinny back tyres

big front wing

fat front tyres

iank

posted on 25/6/10 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plantman
minimum 6 pit stops per race

no rear wing

skinny back tyres

big front wing

fat front tyres

Bet we'd see the first FWD F1 car with those rules.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

plantman

posted on 25/6/10 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
oooh noo fwd drive f1 car the world would end

but i thought it would be all on the braking into corners but if you braked too late you would have no traction out of the corners

i like the idea of several pit stops ther usually a disaster or two when they do a round of pit stops

iank

posted on 25/6/10 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
The problem with pit stops is success becomes reliant on the strategy guy, the mechanics and a bit of luck. I'd rather have the driver or, if not him/her, the car.

Would be interesting to mix things up by having them race with another (suitable high speed) class.

--
Anonymous

Fatgadget

posted on 25/6/10 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:

Ah! But your 35ft wide car would never get pole!..Imagine hustling it round Mirabou ? Or going flat at Eau Rouge

iank

posted on 25/6/10 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fatgadget
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:

Ah! But your 35ft wide car would never get pole!..Imagine hustling it round Mirabou ? Or going flat at Eau Rouge

It would if the side pods extended thunderbirds stylee after qualifying
My point is really that if you have too few rules the teams will still come up with clever ways to win that have little to do with racing ability.

--
Anonymous

plantman

posted on 25/6/10 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
i agree you don't want some bright spark guy in the pits deciding the race but if you have enough pit stops it should screw him up
Ninehigh

posted on 25/6/10 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
We should start a series in the style of the old touring cars rule, and just have a length and width limit. Anything goes as long as it's road legal.

scudderfish

posted on 25/6/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Give the cars really poo brakes.
Ninehigh

posted on 26/6/10 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Give the cars really poo brakes.

Lol Flintstones brakes!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.