Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: castor angle left to right
ever88

posted on 1/8/10 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
castor angle left to right

currently setting up castor angle for the front on a kit I'm building and would like some advice please.

I know that the nearside of car has more castor than offside to compensate for the natural curvature of the road but how much difference should there be?
1 degree 1/2 a degree?

your help on this matter would be much appreciated but no guesses please!

I will be welding top mounts in place and it's a lot of work tp correct if wrong?

many thanks

Paul

blakep82

posted on 1/8/10 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
not guessing, but i've never heard of different castor to account the road camber?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Paul TigerB6

posted on 1/8/10 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
LOL

Never heard of anyone designing in variation of castor before!! Keep it equal would be my advice

ever88

posted on 1/8/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I thought that the crown in the road would naturally make the car pull to the kerb.

I'm not making it up! but I can't recall where I got it from.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 1/8/10 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ever88
I thought that the crown in the road would naturally make the car pull to the kerb.

I'm not making it up! but I can't recall where I got it from.

NASCAR??

Actually...

Not all race cars have the same caster angles on each side of the car. This is known as caster split. All circle track cars carry a different caster angle on the left front to that of the right front. The reason for this is that the radius followed by the outer wheel is greater than that of the inner wheel; hence a different steering angle is required.

For long fast corners (such as those at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway) the caster angle will be toward the highest settings to give a slow response and to enhance the self centering effect this offers.

from here

[Edited on 1/8/10 by Paul TigerB6]

steve m

posted on 1/8/10 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I was lead to believe that french cars were set up to drive to the left to allow for road camber, not sure were i got the info from, as its probably crap

steve

Russell

posted on 1/8/10 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
There isn't always a crown in the road. If you have superelevation then a crown isn't needed for surface water drainage.

I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.

blakep82

posted on 1/8/10 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
you're right, circle track cars do, but only because they always turn the same way.
i thought it was the camber that was different though?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

deltron63

posted on 1/8/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
all the yank tanks we work on pull to the kerb.
drive on the wrong side and they are fine

procomp

posted on 1/8/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Sounds like rubbish from a manufacturer as an explanation as to why they cant jig the front suspension with any accurasie at all.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 1/8/10 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
I would keep it equal... Self centering is usually a bugger in itself without adding complications!

VOSAman might not agree with odd split angles as a reason why it pulls to one side on their flat test area.

Keep it simple and equal.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 1/8/10 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
you could always use rose joints instead of bushs, and make it all fully adjustable so you can change the camber, caster, etc

Mark Allanson

posted on 1/8/10 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
I have always set the camber to the negative end of specs on the LH side to compensate for road caber, but castor is what it should be - dead equal both sides

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

RazMan

posted on 1/8/10 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think castor would make significant changes that would affect behaviour due to road camber. Camber might ..... but unequal camber would surely mess up handling on flat roads (ie motorways) not to mention tyre wear. Track days would be interesting too - you would do better choosing tracks with mainly right hand bends!

I would keep it simple ..... and symmetrical

[Edited on 1-8-10 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Daddylonglegs

posted on 2/8/10 at 05:32 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe that's why my Peugeot 308 always pulls to the left then???

Asked the local dealer to check it (it's a Motability car) and they said that it needs to be checked by Slow-fit of similar as they can't check . Would have thought a main dealer could at least check that??

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

britishtrident

posted on 2/8/10 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
Must be equal on both sides for road use

To clear up the French car mystery the Citreon CV2 and original Renault 4 had asymetrical suspension because of the way the transverse torsion bars were positioned.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

ever88

posted on 2/8/10 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
equal it is

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.