Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wheel size...
Eternal

posted on 3/8/10 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Wheel size...

Well guys got a deal on some wheels a few weeks ago and eventualy got round to picking them up. Was allmost too good to be true so did not want to say anything just incase i did not get them. Anyhow! Do any of you guys run 18inch wheels? If so any idea how huge they look? Just picked up these... for £100 real happy but a bit worried they might look massive. Bare in mind the chassis is a 5.5 inch stretch ontop of a haynes so 7.5inch. I have noticed no cyclewings are made to fit 18's so that might be a pain and requre some custom ones.
Anyhow what do you guys think?

And to give an idea on chassis length.

interestedparty

posted on 3/8/10 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
The wheels might be large diameter but the tyres are low profile, its the 2 together that gives the overall diameter, most tyre and wheel firms websites have online calculators to compare different combinations.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

blakep82

posted on 3/8/10 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
someone IS about to tell you the handling will be terrible etc and that 13" wheels will be better and look better. but its personal choice on most things.

just don't build anything into the chassis (pickup points etc) to rule out changing the wheel diameter later.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

bigrich

posted on 3/8/10 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Stock Tire - 205/60R13 >Search Tires Tire 1 - 225/40R18 >Search Tires
Section Width: 8.07 in 205 mm
Section Width: 8.85 in 225 mm

Rim Diameter: 13 in 330.2 mm
Rim Diameter: 18 in 457.2 mm

Rim Width Range: 5.5 - 7.5 in
Rim Width Range: 7.5 - 9 in

Overall Diameter: 22.68 in 576.07 mm
Overall Diameter: 25.08 in 637.03 mm

Sidewall Height: 4.84 in 122.93 mm
Sidewall Height: 3.54 in 89.916 mm

Radius: 11.34 in 288.03 mm
Radius: 12.54 in 318.51 mm

Circumference: 71.25 in 1809.7 mm
Circumference: 78.79 in 2001.2 mm

Revs per Mile: 917.1
Revs per Mile: 829.3

Actual Speed: 60 mph 100 km/h
Speedometer1: 54.2 mph 90.4 km/h

Speedometer Difference: - Speedometer Difference: 10.58% too slow
Diameter Difference: - Diameter Difference: 9.57%

They sound large when you say 18's but only 9.6% larger than my rear 13's.
think the ride might be a bit harsh though

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

chrsgrain

posted on 3/8/10 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Lots of Dax's run 18" and look great - there will be lots of people who would say that the handling is affected, and not in a good way.... but each to their own.

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

smart51

posted on 3/8/10 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
They'll be about 60mm diameter bigger than standard locost sizes of 185/65/13, 205/60/13 and 195/50/15 which are interchangeable. Your wheels won't fit standard wings or wing stays but you can make your own.

The 30mm extra radius = 30mm more ride height with the wishbones set to the right geometry. You could raise the mounting points by 30mm to compensate.

225/40 tyres have a lower side wall height (90mm) than 195/50 (97) and much lower than 185/65 (111) so the ride will be firmer. I should think the tyres will be quite a bit more expensive too.

Wheels are a personal thing and so are kit cars. Use what you want if it makes you happy.

Eternal

posted on 3/8/10 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Great thanks for the reply guys. With this wheel size and running gear i get the standard ratios and speed as the r33 gtst skylines so im happy with speeds ect. I was worried about the sump as did not want to chop it up ect so the 3cm extra might be helpfull. But will be riding a little high.
Tbh i allways knew putting a huge engine in a 7 style car would mess up the handling. But seeing as im using skyline engine/box and diff ratios i might as well run the same wheels. was thinking anything smaller would be hard to put the power down as with smaller radius wheel the acceleration goes up. Will still use the standard pick up points for the wishbones and see how it goes i guess worst comes to worst can just ebay them and get something else but would be nice to run 18's if i can as feels more "Skyline".
But cant find many dax pictures with 18's i have to admit. But i think it would give a donkervoort kind of look. so thats not bad i guess!

[Edited on 3/8/10 by Eternal]

franky

posted on 3/8/10 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
If you read chassis/set-up/suspension books there's no reason why a car with larger wheels can't be made to handle the same as one with smaller wheels, well the book went upto 17" in its theroy, obviously its to do with weight but more or less a car with larger wheels that weigh the same as smaller wheels will handle as well.... can of worms!??
interestedparty

posted on 3/8/10 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eternal
Great thanks for the reply guys. With this wheel size and running gear

Did you get the point about it being wheel AND tyre that has to be considered, wheel alone means nothing until you know what profile tyre you are fitting, those together will tell you rolling radius

ali f27

posted on 3/8/10 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi i have a set of 17 s with sliks on i use on track days and they are fine just get tyre presure sort and your in Ali
Eternal

posted on 3/8/10 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Indeed i understand that. less tire wall means less tire roll and more firm ect... ect... heh well thats what i understand. Ofc the lower profile the tire the closer it is to the original diameter but then again i would end up with rubber bands around the rim and no air inside heh.

The part you quoted about was only part of what i was saying about the ratio aspect combined with the gearbox/diff and rpm. what i should have said is wheel/tire.

From what i know the haynes is about 100mm from chassis to floor with normal wheels/tires with the ones i have will be 130mm and i guess that raises the center of gravity. One of the ways of putting the chassis lower is to use the coil overs but that changes all the wishbone geometry and would mess a load of things up.

interestedparty

posted on 3/8/10 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to use a wheel/tyre with a larger rolling radius but want to run the car at normal height then you need to raise the pivots (by the same amount as the increase in radius) on the chassis to maintain the same wishbone geometry. That may not be possible on your car, so you would need to adjust the ride height so the wishbones were angling upward of theire normal angle.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.