Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help.......F*!*&*g Crank Pulley!!!!!
Bumble

posted on 22/8/10 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Help.......F*!*&*g Crank Pulley!!!!!

Help please....been struggling for the past 2 hours trying to loosen the crank pulley bolt (Silvertop Zetec). I have the engine on a stand (minus sump). I tried screwing in 2 of the flywheel bolts and bracing against them whilst trying to "shock" the pulley bolt into submission but the bloody thing won't budge. It's not reverse thread is it??
Worried I'm going to round the bolt off if I keep hitting it. What else can I try??
Thanks,
Matt

SPYDER

posted on 22/8/10 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
An impact gun will get it off in a jiffy (if you have one, of course)
Maybe someone on here more local to you than I am will nip round with theirs.
And, no, it won't be a reverse thread.
Geoff.

RazMan

posted on 22/8/10 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
First of all, do NOT hit the crank bolt - you stand a serious risk of damaging the crank bearings.

A good fitting socket and breaker bar is the only way I'm afraid. If that doesn't work, I think Ford does a special tool but you wouldn't want to buy one.

Can you jam the starter ring and lock up the crank that way?

[Edited on 22-8-10 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 22/8/10 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
I think the pulley has two holes in it so you can put two bolts through a bar to hold the pulley or drill two holes in a bar and bolt it to the crank, fly end.

Is this your 2L ?

Make sure you use an 18mm 6 point socket.

[Edited on 22/8/10 by big_wasa]

WestfieldSEI

posted on 22/8/10 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
I DON'T reccommend this but it worked for me after I struggled for several hours trying to get the crankshaft pulley nut off a FIAT Panda. I read about this technique on another forum somewhere....

Get a decent ring spanner (obviously one that is the right size), put it on the nut, then engage the starter VERY briefly (make sure you have removed the spark plugs or leads as well, you don't want it to start!). The theory is the spanner will spin round, make contact with something hard (the floor hopefully) and shock the nut loose.

As I say it only took two attempts on the Panda after I had spent several hours with ever increasingly large levers trying to undo it.

Of course if you have access to an impact gun try that first!

[Edited on 22/8/10 by WestfieldSEI]

Bumble

posted on 22/8/10 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Wasa,
Yep its the 2L. All ancillaries stripped off, engine degreased, block painted, sump off......just can't get the f'ing crank pulley bolt loose in order to change water pump and fit new cam belt. Seriously miffed.
Matt
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
I think the pulley has two holes in it so you can put two bolts through a bar to hold the pulley or drill two holes in a bar and bolt it to the crank, fly end.

Is this your 2L ?

Make sure you use an 18mm 6 point socket.

[Edited on 22/8/10 by big_wasa]

snapper

posted on 22/8/10 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Is it on an engine stand or on the floor?
If it's on a stand then wedge the flywheel and use a big bar on the crank nut, it will give.
To help it you could apply some heat, let it cool, soak it in WD40, then the next day heat it again and use the big bar

[Edited on 22/8/10 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

speedyxjs

posted on 22/8/10 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WestfieldSEI
I DON'T reccommend this but it worked for me after I struggled for several hours trying to get the crankshaft pulley nut off a FIAT Panda. I read about this technique on another forum somewhere....

Get a decent ring spanner (obviously one that is the right size), put it on the nut, then engage the starter VERY briefly (make sure you have removed the spark plugs or leads as well, you don't want it to start!). The theory is the spanner will spin round, make contact with something hard (the floor hopefully) and shock the nut loose.

As I say it only took two attempts on the Panda after I had spent several hours with ever increasingly large levers trying to undo it.

that is exactly how i did mine. Works very well.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

T66

posted on 22/8/10 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Can be harder if on an engine stand, so lie it down if you can.

Softwood wedges on the crank to jam it...

No hammering, get someone to put their weight on the engine for you, with it lying down.

Strong bar and socket, and if you have it a piece of scaffold pipe to extend your lever may help. A hex socket will be more secure than the other type I cannot recall the name of.

Easiest way is a windy gun/nut gun but Im guessing you havent got one.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.