Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cold starting and megasquirt
rpm

posted on 2/9/10 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
cold starting and megasquirt

i've got the car running pretty well when warm at the moment, it picks up from low revs and drives fine, the only slight problem is it takes 2-3 long turnovers when cold to start, warm starts are fine. seeing as it does go ok i don't really want to mess with the map too much, so what happens if i adjust the required fuel in engine constants? does this affect the whole map or just the starting values?. i realise i can adjust ase values to get it running up better after starting, do the warm up enrichements work on cranking or after start? What i don't want to do is mess up the whole tune after spending so long getting it right just for the small annoyance of cranking 2-3 times
thanks for any advice
Roger

expert
ex= a has been
spurt= a drip under pressure

brianthemagical

posted on 2/9/10 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Don't touch the req fuel as that will alter everything.
Are you runnning ITB's with the injectors away from the head?
Altering the cranking pulse and priming pulse sould be your best option, them warm up enrichment if you have to but don't touch the map.

GregSL75

posted on 2/9/10 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Cranking pulsewidth would be my first port of call.

2.0 XE on GSXR TBs and Megasquirt

paulf

posted on 2/9/10 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Its the cranking pulse width and priming pulse that you need to adjust, remember that as long as you save the current MAP then you can always revert back to it if you find it runs worse.
Paul

rpm

posted on 3/9/10 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
cranking and priming pulse it is then, thanks for the advice i'll go and have a play

expert
ex= a has been

matt_gsxr

posted on 3/9/10 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Cranking is really the priority I think.

Priming pulse is more to purge air from the system, and any fuel is gone after the first couple of rotations or so.

Worth also checking that you are not getting sync errors while cranking (is you have ms2, ms1 doesn't report these).

The problem with cold-start cranking is that you only get one real chance to try your new settings.

fatbaldbloke

posted on 4/9/10 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
The cranking pulse width is usually a lot more than you would think. Without knowing anything about your engine/map/etc I'd plump for around 20ms...

It's usually about 5 times the pulse width you have at hot idle. If you make sure the flood clear setting is set at about 10% under full throttle you can always clear it if it's too rich.

irvined

posted on 4/9/10 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
You want the cranking pulse width setting, you will either have two values, a cold value and hot value, and if its when cold, you want to increase/reduce the colder of the values.

The alternative is you can set it to a table, and adjust it per every 10 degrees or so if you need more fine tuning.

I'd stick to two values, and try very small increases of the cold value. (0.5ms a time)

http://irvined.blogspot.com

rpm

posted on 5/9/10 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
had a play around today and i've now got it starting well from cold the advice from fatbaldbloke was good, i had been too timid in my previous alterations

expert
ex= a has been

fatbaldbloke

posted on 5/9/10 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

the advice from fatbaldbloke was good

You're probably about the 20th builder I've helped out with the same problem so it wasn't a complete stab in the dark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.