Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: To build or not to build...
jono2020

posted on 19/10/10 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
To build or not to build...

I have a tiger avon at the mo which I brought in June. I didnt build it as I am not the best with cars. After playing about with it a tiny bit and reading on here for a while I have been so tempted to sell mine and build my own. Only problem is that I have never built anything really. Let alone an entire car... How do you guys on here start out? Have most of you had some mechanical kind of job before where you have learnt all this or did you just read the manual and it explained all... I just really would love to build something so I know that what I am driving, I have built myself... Also that way I can customise it to exactly how I want it. I need people honest opinions on what they think if they were in the same boat as me before they built their car. I just dont want to be one of these people who buys the kit an ends up selling it on ebay only half done because I dont know how to do some bits and give up... I NEED BRUTALLY HONEST OPINIONS PLEASE...

[Edited on 19/10/10 by jono2020]

austin man

posted on 19/10/10 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
why not strip the tiger and start from scratch and re build it

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

NigeEss

posted on 19/10/10 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Can you do Meccano ?

It the same but on a bigger scale

........................ish....

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

RK

posted on 19/10/10 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
How much money do you have?
James

posted on 20/10/10 at 02:49 AM Reply With Quote
How much work have you done on cars? Seriously?

My level of experience when I started was this:

changed oil in Mk2 Golf a few times
changed discs and pads in Mk2 Golf
replaced head gasket and rebuilt head

So not exactly comprehensive!!!

But I bought the Champion book on a whim, was addicted and never looked back.

I went to evening classes to learn to weld properly. All in all it took me 4 years. But due to deviating from the standard plans it took a lot longer than it needed to.

I had an awful lot of advice from here, the WLM and the likes of Bob, Conrod and Fozzie. I even twisted Conrod's arm into getting him over to my house to help get the engine 1st fired up and Fozzie (and DLT) were generous to a fault with their time and skill when it came to the ali rear panel bodywork!

For an inexperienced builder, insisting you make everything yourself adds a lot of time too. Some bits I really should have bought.

and

buy a loom!!! For just £100 you save youself doing one of the most complex and difficult parts of the build! Saves hours!

Having said all that, building the car is one of the most rewarding things I've done.

My main advice would be: don't go re-inventing the wheel! I was an early adopter of IRS from Sierra here, combined with the weird chassis dimensions I went for (my chassis is +10% all round) things got pretty complex sorting suspension and bodywork. Part way through I realised I'd cocked up the rear upper suspension mounts and put them in the wrong place. I was then held up for 3 months (!!!) while working out how to sort this properly!

Keep things standard and you'll end up with a much quicker build!

Another word of warning though. If you build a Locost/Roadster you will be lucky if it is worth what you spent on it. If you assemble a decent brand kit (MK, MNR etc.) you've got a chance you won't make a loss.... maybe!

All the best,
James

[Edited on 20/10/10 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

panichat

posted on 20/10/10 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
If you have the itch to build something I think you shoud have a go.
The suggestion of stripping and re-building your current car is a good one - is there some uprated feature that you could incorporate into the build? You could go to one of the kitcar shows and be inspired - I saw a beautiful 7 at Stoneleigh with every piece of bodywork in beaten aluminium.

However.....I really enjoyed the building process - lots of problem solving, learning new skills, creativity etc involved and an enormous sense of achievement as well.

Cheers
Dave

interestedparty

posted on 20/10/10 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
The advice to do a strip and rebuild of your car is correct, anything else will cost a good deal more and take a long time. If you really wanted to actually build from scratch you would already know that, it's not something you can take opinions on.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

Daddylonglegs

posted on 20/10/10 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with the 'strip and rebuild' gang. Apart from anything else, why spend more money and lose sleep over an IVA if it's already got one?

I am assuming that it is on-the-road?

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

jono2020

posted on 20/10/10 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for all the feedback. I think I might do what everyone has suggested by rebuilding mine over the winter. It will give me chance to learn how to do certain things before actually starting with a fresh kit. I don't reckon I will get the satisfaction as much but it will give me some skills I guess. I think if I do build one I will go for the mk Indy r. Maybe a BEC. How much roughly would I need to start from scratch with that kit and all pretty standard parts...
jollygreengiant

posted on 20/10/10 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by panichat
You could go to one of the kitcar shows and be inspired - I saw a beautiful 7 at Stoneleigh with every piece of bodywork in beaten aluminium.

I suggest that the Seven in question was probable TrevD's. He does body work ( in ally ) for a living. But he does it Superbly.

There are quite a few people however, that have built sevens, from scatch, with no particular previous mechanical knowledge and their resultant cars have been superb.

If you fancy it go for it, the result of your efforts will reflect your own personal build and the level of finish that you are prepared to accept. If you get stuck, there will always be someone on here who would give advice and or help as needed.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

femster87

posted on 20/10/10 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Am currently on my first build ever, I just jumped into having no experience what soever it has been great fun.I have had Really good advice on here. But u need a deep pocket for a decent build. I have gone over what a good looking car would cost me on ebay. And I reckon i still need £1000 to finish. So if I do again I would buy an uncompleted project with most parts already there, and a full strip and rebuild
jossey

posted on 20/10/10 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
ye i like the idea above.

strip the car and repaint the chassis or something this will give you skill to build it up and a good start to see if you enjoy the cuts, bruises and scrapes which you will get in the process.

i had done very little mechanic work before my build so i spent alot of time reading and then finding local people who can help with my build.

eg welder people
exhaust people
engine people
etc

dave

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hughpinder

posted on 20/10/10 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
How much space have you got? Can you weld? Are you planning to build from scratch, or buy a kit? Can you service your own car? Are you ok with car electrics or know someone who is?

If you have the space and can service a car, you will manage ok. It will take longer and cost more than you expect though!

Regards
Hugh

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.