Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: heater still blowing cold? :(
blakep82

posted on 14/1/11 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
heater still blowing cold? :(

got a BMW328, yes its getting on a bit now...
my heaters keep blowing out cold air. i can put the heating on full heat, and it only warms up over 2k revs, even when the engines fully warmed up. it used to mean it was leaking and coolant was low. i've fixed the leak, but still got this problem with the heater. i can't work it out. followed all the correct procedure for filling, bled all the air out, and it can't take any more coolant. i'm lost any ideas?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Daddylonglegs

posted on 14/1/11 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like your heater matrix is blocked. Is there anywhere near the matrix conection you can loosen and try to bleed it?

You need to make sure your heater controls are on max heat (don't need the fan on just water routed via the matrix).

HTH

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

blakep82

posted on 14/1/11 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
the connections are quite tight to get to in the bulk head (right up to the back of the engine)

hmm, maybe you're right though, maybe it is just blocked, and the extra pressure from a higher engine speed is enough to force some water round it? i'll see if i can undo the hoses next week, and try and back flush it with the garden hose?

now, the controls are electronic i think, as in there is a dial, but no sort of control cable you can feel it operating. on the bulkhead behind the engine, there is a small 'thing' with a hose in and out, and an electrical plug, maybe thats the valve? i just need to make sure i don'e put water through that i guess. i assume that will be on the way in to the matrix? ie coolant flows through that to the matrix, out the matrix into the engine?

just last time it blew cold, the thermostat housing had cracked, and blew all my coolant out

[Edited on 14/1/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Daddylonglegs

posted on 14/1/11 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
The daughter's MR2 had a similar issue where the leak was from the matrix, I replaced it but had issues bleeding it. Eventually it was all OK, heats up a treat now. The MR2 is electronic too, just push-button selection of modes, when you select hot you can hear the flap motoring across.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get it sorted

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

blakep82

posted on 14/1/11 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
hmm, might just need help bleeding the matrix, the connections to it are above the cylinder head, so i wouldn't be surprised if there was air in it, as they're higher than the air bleed screw in the radiator, weird.
i'll need to find a good steep hill, then try again. or push it off... either way suits

RoadkillUK

posted on 14/1/11 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I flushed the wifes heater on the saxo last weekend as it was blowing cold and she wouldn't stop complaining, after that 30 min job, it's warm now and my ears get a rest (from that complaint anyway).

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pgtips

posted on 14/1/11 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
You need to lift the back up as high as you can and then try to bleed it. They are very dificulld to bleed.

Also is your engine overheating at all? They do suffer with water pump impellar failure and the cooland circulation is very low.
Worth checking.

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...

blakep82

posted on 17/1/11 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
well, it did overheat when the thermostat housing cracked, but i replaced that and it blew cold contantly from there. aside from then, the needle sits perfectly in the middle of the gauge

just tried flushing it out backwards today, seems to make a small improvement, next i'll find a nice steep hill to park it on and try and get any air out.

seems alright for now, thanks everyone though

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.