Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vagcom OBD Cable Where to buy?
MikeCapon

posted on 31/1/11 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Vagcom OBD Cable Where to buy?

I need to get my hands on an OBD Hex + Can cable. There are what seem to be OE ones at £300+ and lots of dodgy looking ones at £50ish.

Does anyone have a recommended address to buy one of these at sensible money?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Mike

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bassett

posted on 31/1/11 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, Not sure if they are reasonably priced but gendan.co.uk are very good for cables/software for most cars.

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

MikeCapon

posted on 31/1/11 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks bassett. I've just been and had a look. £268
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 31/1/11 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Your kinda stuck with "official" cables because the software license key is held within the dongle... hence the price...

IMHO, worth paying for if you have a modern VAG... much cheaper than going to the dealers...

I am lucky with my 2001 polo that it is just before CAN-BUS so a £4 cable off ebay works pretty well with a slightly "fiddled with" version of their "demo" software :p

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

MikeCapon

posted on 31/1/11 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
What are these all about then? Counterfeit copies???

Are they possibly worth a try?

tegwin

posted on 31/1/11 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
hmm.... from their description it looks like it "should" work..... but I dont think it comes with the actual software.....

Not sure, something looks a little odd.... might be worth trying though?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

nick205

posted on 31/1/11 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Your kinda stuck with "official" cables because the software license key is held within the dongle... hence the price...

IMHO, worth paying for if you have a modern VAG... much cheaper than going to the dealers...

I am lucky with my 2001 polo that it is just before CAN-BUS so a £4 cable off ebay works pretty well with a slightly "fiddled with" version of their "demo" software :p

Apologies for the hijack...

Tegwin, what kit do you need to read older cars? Can you do it from a laptop with softare an appropriate USB cable?

(never even looked at this before so assume I know nothing)

tegwin

posted on 31/1/11 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yes.... if you buy the USB OBD2 cable from ebay (mine is a blueish transparent thing)

You need to install a USB to serial driver first, and then the OBD2 port driver...

After that you simply download the vag-com software from somewhere and start using it.... it needs to be a registered version to be able to make changes.... you dont have to pay for that though

Its been a massive help over the last year dealing with friends vehicles including a Transported T4, Audi TT and my polo...

nick205

posted on 31/1/11 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Yes.... if you buy the USB OBD2 cable from ebay (mine is a blueish transparent thing)

You need to install a USB to serial driver first, and then the OBD2 port driver...

After that you simply download the vag-com software from somewhere and start using it.... it needs to be a registered version to be able to make changes.... you dont have to pay for that though

Its been a massive help over the last year dealing with friends vehicles including a Transported T4, Audi TT and my polo...

Thanks for that - worth a rummage me thinks!

MikeCapon

posted on 31/1/11 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Is this dodgy? Seeing where it comes from I imagine that's a yes?
pgtips

posted on 31/1/11 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I got mine from this guys. Not sure if you can get just the cable but worth a phonecall.

Very good tool.

[Edited on 31-1-11 by pgtips]

[Edited on 31-1-11 by pgtips]

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.