Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Peugeot 107 odd handling problem. What could it be?
smart51

posted on 28/2/11 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Peugeot 107 odd handling problem. What could it be?

I've had my 107 for nearly 5 years now. Despite being gutless and not nearly as good on petrol as I'd hoped, it always handled well. Chuck it into a corner and it would just go round. It has recently changed and can best be described as "flobery". Theres a tight right hand corner on my way home that was always good fun but now the car behaves strangely. The rear rolls quite slowly then it goes quite slack and yaws. It feels bad. On a straight empty road if you turn the wheel an eighth of a turn then back to the straight ahead, a similar thing happens. It used to just turn a bit and then go straight ahead again. No drama or fuss.

I've looked underneath it and everything looks straight and undamaged. The bushes and dampers look fine. Its even surprisingly clean. The tyres are fine and everything's OK. What should I look for next?

jacko

posted on 28/2/11 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
At a guess i would say shockers you cant tell by just looking at them also tyres pressures ?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wylliezx9r

posted on 28/2/11 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like bushes to me. Without getting it up on a high ramp and levering the wheels they can be very hard to spot. That's my 2p worth anyway.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

T66

posted on 28/2/11 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
My saab went "flobbery" on high speed bends last year, steering inputs became vague/mushy

That was a bottom ball joint.

steve m

posted on 28/2/11 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
"Peugeot 107 odd handling problem. What could it be?"

Its French ?

JAMSTER

posted on 28/2/11 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
try the bearings in the rear axle . not the wheel bearings. there are bearings in the axle tube
smart51

posted on 28/2/11 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
The axle tube is mounted on very large bushes. I guess it could be that. They where the only bushes that couldn't really be seen. If the rear beam is moving under load it could well produce the problem I'm feeling. Everything looked fine but as I had the car on ramps, one end at a time, I couldn't really pull and push the wheels at all. Perhaps I need to get the garage to look at it.

UncleFista

posted on 28/2/11 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

Its French ?

Yeah, cos small french hatchbacks are renowned for their poor handling

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

pgtips

posted on 28/2/11 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Check your coil springs. We have seeing lot's of cars for the last few years with the top or bottom part of the spring broken........ just a ring missing and you wound even know about it..
The only way to find out is jack it up and have close look on both ends of your springs.

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...

pgtips

posted on 28/2/11 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

Its French ?

Yeah, cos small french hatchbacks are renowned for their poor handling

Oh yea, few years a go I had a nice hot little 106 GTI......... The handling on that was rubbish .

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.