Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what (and how) can I remove from my sierra column
mads

posted on 31/3/11 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
what (and how) can I remove from my sierra column

Hi all,
I am not planning to use the stalks etc for IVA so want to remove all unnecessary bits off it, but not sure what i safely can and what needs the angle grinder on it.

here are some pics:

steering column
steering column

not sure what the bracket in the middle of the column above the springy bit (can you tell i know my stuff) is for but I think i can remove it. however, it seems to have been tack-welded (?) on to the column:

column weld
column weld

secondly, the stalk mounting and adjustable section needs to come off. does it simply slide off or does it have to be cut? dont want to cut it if it can be of use to someone else on here.

down column
down column

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

adithorp

posted on 31/3/11 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
The bracket is the original mounting on the Sierra. If your not using it cut it off or drill out the spot welds.

I got rid of the casting all together and replaced it with a machined ally cylinder, held in place with a couple of grub screws. There's a screw in at an angle from below; Remove that and the casting knocks off. Prise out the top bearing and machine the cylinder to take it. You need the plastic ring (doubles as indicator canceler) and spring spacer that goes between the bearing and the wheel. Otherwise you end up with play in the column.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Davegtst

posted on 31/3/11 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I cut the whole ignition switch/lock casing off but it does hold the top bearing. For the top bearing i managed to find one that fitted perfectly between the steel outer and the shaft. Took a bit of work but at least i won't have a lump of ali doing nothing and the top bearing is alot better than the standard one too.
mads

posted on 31/3/11 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Adithorp - if you get rid of the casting (i presume you mean the steel outer cylinder) then do you not lose some of the collapsible functionality of the column? (based on the slinky looking bit on the steel outer)

Dave - is the only way to get the casing off by cutting it? and any ideas on what the bearing was that you used? again, any pics would be great. not very good with words and learn better from pics.

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

Davegtst

posted on 31/3/11 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Yep only way is to cut it off. The bearing is a 20 x 37 x 9 i got mine from simply bearings. Looking at your pictures, do you not have the rest of the adjustable part?

[Edited on 31/3/11 by Davegtst]

adithorp

posted on 31/3/11 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
By "the casting" I mean the cast bit at the top with all the steering lock and switch mountings in it. The big ugly bit. Its a pressed fit onto the tube and should (from memory) have a grub screw securing it (at an angle from the bottom and might have a shear off head so needs a small chisle to remove). Remove the screw and tap the casting off.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.