Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 14mm wheel holes on 12mm bolts?
lsdweb

posted on 20/5/11 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
14mm wheel holes on 12mm bolts?

Hi All

I'm in the process of fitting MG / Rover alloys to my Clio RS as they are stronger than the chocolate ones fitted (see below) and a lot cheaper than Renault ones!

The PCD is spot on and the ET is within a mill or two. I've bored the centre out to be the right size for the Renault hub centre.

The only problem I have is that the Renault uses a 12mm bolt and the MG/Rover a 14mm stud or bolt. The plan was to drill and tap the Renault hubs for the 14mm wheel bolts. However, my mate who was going to do this had gone on hols and I need to sort this quickly! I'm not confident I could drill and tap the holes without messing them up and I don't have the taps. The hubs are all off and on the bench ready (needed new wheel bearings, TREs, ball joints and CV gaiters anyway).

Can anybody think of another solution - I did think of sleeved wheel nuts but the sleeve would only be about a mill thick.

Regards

Wyn

Broken wheel
Broken wheel

adithorp

posted on 20/5/11 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
You can get special bolts with slight play between the nut and slieve to allow this. Ask for wobble bolts I think. Bit of a bodge though.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

lsdweb

posted on 20/5/11 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I just spoke to Speedshack who think that provided the seat of the bolt is right, 12mm bolts will be fine. The MG appears to have a 60 degree seat the same as the Clio.
adithorp

posted on 20/5/11 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
I just spoke to Speedshack who think that provided the seat of the bolt is right, 12mm bolts will be fine. The MG appears to have a 60 degree seat the same as the Clio.

Sorry, I misread the post as ET spot on and PCD slightly out. reading correctly I agree with speedshack.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Humbug

posted on 20/5/11 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
[Non-expert alert]I think that as long as they are a) aligned correctly i.e. centred on the stud/bolt, which they should be if the seat angle is correct and b) torqued up correctly then you should be OK. (I seem to remember a similar question on here a while ago and the conclusion was "OK". You would need to make sure the wheels are centred before tightening, though personally I would not want to do it on a long term basis[/Non-expert alert]
sebastiaan

posted on 20/5/11 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Can you get 12mm / 14mm studs? a racecar needs studs instead of bolts anyway...
lsdweb

posted on 21/5/11 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys

12 to 14mm stud adaptors would be the best option but can't find any!

This may be a relatively short term fix as, if I move to a different class for next season, I'll widen the track a bit by using hubcentric adaptors which I can get made to suit my 12/14mm setup .

Wyn

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.