Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Building a car to sell (so not technically an amateur build)?
StevieB

posted on 6/11/11 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Building a car to sell (so not technically an amateur build)?

Does anyone know the implications of building and registering a car with the intention of selling it?

I run a small business which is doing well enough for itself, but I'm always looking for ways to add turnover and diversify things a little (but mainly ways to do something interesting with my time).

I've often thought about using my business to fund a build with the intention of hiring it out either as a road car or trackday rental. It then occurred to me to maybe just build a car with the intention of selling it.

Is there any way of doing this or is it dodgy ground with regard to IVA etc (as it wouldn't technically be an amateur build). I know that peoiple who buy a Lotus 2eleven then pay an extra fee for IVA and registration, and the manufacturers offer fully built cars.

I wouldn't be looking to make my fortune with this either, just a means by which to add a bit of interesting diversity to my existing company (I'm a construction consultant, so while it's financially rewarding enough it's boring work!).

I suppose the loop hole might be to build a track car and sell it unregistered but ready for IVA.

Just an idea I've been batting about for a while in various guises - I've looked through the IVA manual but it's not entirely clear what the score is in this case so figured I'd ask on here.

Cheers

Steve

MakeEverything

posted on 6/11/11 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
If youre hobby is building cars and you dont have room to store them once complete, then its still amateur surely......

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

les g

posted on 6/11/11 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
hi would it be worth registering yourself as a small volume producer
i think i read that the iva test is easier etc..
please check it out but i may have got hold of the wrong end of the stick
but i,m pretty sure there is something in it
all the best with your endeavours
cheers les g

locoboy

posted on 6/11/11 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I think that 99.9% of the members on here would say that if they sold their cars tomorrow they would not cover their costs if they put a monetary value on their time.

The reason manufacturers make money is because they can do thinks in bulk, ie. all the cutting of 10 lengths or steel at x length thus considerably reducing set up time. In addition to this they will part assemble components up to a certain point and stock them ready for use as and when required.

I think you would really struggle to make money on a one off build.

ATB
Locoboy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.