Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Panic Buying.....
AndyW

posted on 29/3/12 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Panic Buying.....

I've spent the last two weeks getting myself a new job. Had to. So, I had to fill up the wife's car today. Not an easy task. nearly one hour later I have fuel! This panic buying is getting really stupid. We wont run out unless we continue to panic. There was a lady in front of me in the queue who filled up her car, she didnt know how to work the pump, didnt know how to do chip and pin and clearly just went out and filled up because of what she had heard.

i dont often get mad but this did make me a bit angry as that tank of fuel will probably stay in her car for the next 9 weeks.

AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH..........

thats better... Rant over.

femster87

posted on 29/3/12 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
I know people do things like that. Was in sainsbury year before last after the crazy snow and the bread aisle was empty 2 hrs after they had put new ones out. Milk was the same. They has to put a restriction on how much you could buy. Think same would happen to fuel by this weekend

[Edited on 29/3/12 by femster87]

big-vee-twin

posted on 29/3/12 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
stupid

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

D Beddows

posted on 29/3/12 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
I do despair of the general public Why would you panic buy a commodity that if freely available, will continue to be for well over a week at least and if there is a strike last thing I heard was it would only be a couple of days anyway...........just because a politician of all people tells you to.....

Add to that most people putting 300+ miles worth of petrol in their tanks don't do that in 3 months or so - after filling up they're probably off down the post office to buy a lifetimes supply of stamps and then to Asda to buy 24 loafs of bread and 50 litres of milk 'just in case'

Of course the cynical amongst us might wonder if this is actually the Conservatives cunning plan to 'stimulate' the British economy lol

[Edited on 29/3/12 by D Beddows]

BobM

posted on 29/3/12 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Real PITA - with a full day's testing booked at Silverstone for tomorrow and the RGB double header races there over the weekend I needed 2 jerry cans of unleaded for the race car and the motorhome needed diesel. Could well be a problem for lots of the guys heading up there.

Not very Locost but very BEC

jossey

posted on 29/3/12 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Femster.... Tesco's in scunny was empty of diesel at 9pm last night also didn't help with the m180 being closed n me being stuck on it for 4 hours

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
FuryRebuild

posted on 29/3/12 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
On the subject of the proposed petrol tanker strike:
Mark: "Do people actually do what a minister says when they give advice?"
Wife: "Only when it's to do something stupid."

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

femster87

posted on 29/3/12 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
Femster.... Tesco's in scunny was empty of diesel at 9pm last night also didn't help with the m180 being closed n me being stuck on it for 4 hours

Lool, I was in the same traffic for 4 hrs as well. I was not a very happy boy

dhutch

posted on 29/3/12 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Mega-fail isnt it.

Obviously said advisor was a bit of a idiot (and an old duffer?) and careless with his tongue. But its the whole thing where there is a diffrence between 'filling it full next time you go, rather than jsut putting £10 in the bottom of the tank' and 'Being a total retard about it' and its just a sad fact that 90% of the population appear to jump for the latter everytime.

That said, if it looks like it times up for easter, I will be seeking to fill my jerry cans, rather than be short on my holiday.

Call it selfish, but if I cant get to work (and it being 5miles, i cal anyway) then whatever, but if my holiday plans are up the shoot I will be a hyper unhappy chappy. I go to work 45 weeks a year, but its not like i'll get a second easter holiday if the first one isnt what i planned.

Daniel

FuryRebuild

posted on 29/3/12 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
We're boating on the broads this easter. Let's hope marine diesel isn't affected. Saying that, it's the boat-owners responsibility to fill the boat's tanks.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

Coopz

posted on 29/3/12 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
It's ridiculous fuel deliveries are as normal, there is no strike, no shortage well at least at the moment! Just mindless idiots following the crowd! What's worse I need to fill up the car on my way home and was going to pop out and fill up a couple jerry cans for the kit over the weekend! Oh what joy
NigeEss

posted on 29/3/12 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows

Of course the cynical amongst us might wonder if this is actually the Conservatives cunning plan to 'stimulate' the British economy lol

Or the petrol companies trying to compensate for people cutting back on fuel purchases due to driving less.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

femster87

posted on 29/3/12 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
quote:

Or the petrol companies trying to compensate for people cutting back on fuel purchases due to driving less.

Conspiracy theorists. Come to th ink of it good way to sell loads

SeaBass

posted on 29/3/12 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

mmm. Perhaps.

But basic economics means that averaged demand will remain constant, the area under a demand/time graph for the next 3 months for example - people won't think ooh there's a fuel supply problem I'll start driving further...

JC

NigeEss

posted on 29/3/12 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
True, but when people have a full tank they are more likely to drive and thus use it up quicker.
Not a long term recovery of revenue but maybe a quick boost.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

bi22le

posted on 29/3/12 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
quote:
quote:

mmm. Perhaps.

But basic economics means that averaged demand will remain constant, the area under a demand/time graph for the next 3 months for example - people won't think ooh there's a fuel supply problem I'll start driving further...

JC

They have done this to soften and hide the big hike in prices that have come about recently. People dont care about the cost and are frenzy buying.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

roadrunner

posted on 29/3/12 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by femster87
quote:

You two need to see the light and move away from Scunny.

dhutch

posted on 29/3/12 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild
We're boating on the broads this easter. Let's hope marine diesel isn't affected. Saying that, it's the boat-owners responsibility to fill the boat's tanks.
Sounds nice. Take a jerry can....!

If diesal did run out it could be the first time our coalfired narrowboat is more easy to get fuel for than a diesal!

Daniel

BigLee

posted on 29/3/12 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
I'm panic buying Greggs pasties before the VAT increase.
rf900rush

posted on 29/3/12 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's a scam.

The media cause most of the problems to panic the public.

I believe they have either had pressure from above or are just complete muppets.

Any way to go now , I got a car that needs filling up

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fesycresy

posted on 29/3/12 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Just cancelled this afternoon's meeting, because I need diesel and can't be arsed to que.

I'll wait until everyone has had their fill and go straight to the pump tomorrow.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

femster87

posted on 29/3/12 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
quote:
Originally posted by femster87
quote:

You two need to see the light and move away from Scunny.

What and live in Hull? Could not think of anything worse

craig1410

posted on 29/3/12 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
I think the media are largely to blame as they draw disproportionate attention to some casual remarks by a minister. If you listen to what Mr Maude said and engage common sense then there would be no problem. Unfortunately the poor guy didn't expect the frenzied mob to react the way they have.

I'm sitting outside Morrisons Petrol Station just now eating my lunch and was pissing myself laughing at the people who were so intent on queuing to get petrol that the tanker couldn't get in to fill up the tanks! I drive 115 miles a day so have to fill up every 4 days or so but right now I'd be reluctant to go anywhere near a petrol station as I wouldn't want people to think I was one of the other sheep. I should be okay until the weekend thankfully as I have 3/4 of a tank just now having filled up a couple of days ago before this all kicked off.

As someone said recently, the trouble with "sense" is that it's not that common! It seems the more people you get together in one place "sense" becomes even less common!

MikeRJ

posted on 29/3/12 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
I think the media are largely to blame as they draw disproportionate attention to some casual remarks by a minister.

If the "sheeple" that inhabit this country weren't so mind numbingly stupid, then they could make their own informed decisions rather than believing everything they read or hear from the media.

coozer

posted on 29/3/12 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Sheep springs to mind.. had the usual last minute idiots diving in front as the cones brought the M1 down to one lane.. about 6 cars in front was one of them trucks that puts the cones out travelling with flashing yellows..

As he slowed and peeled off into the section marked 'Work Access' all 6 cars behind followed him in! I was amazed at the sheep like tendencies shown there then had a good laugh as they got stuck!

The place I bunker up at regularly runs out of diesel. They rely on 2 tankers a day to have enough for all the trucks that, again regular que up for fuel.

I'm looking forward to running out and getting stuck!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.