Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra Driveshaft Shortening..Writeup
Litemoth

posted on 13/4/13 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra Driveshaft Shortening..Writeup

I'm aware that having a shaft made to size, new by proper engineers is the way to go but I chose to take the path of certain destruction...cut 'n' shut driveshafts

This is what I did:

Set the shaft ends in diff and hub to get finished length:

Description
Description

Marked, cut and weld prepped the shafts:

Description
Description

Placed shafts in interrupted vee-block and mounted in 10T press to maintain some degree of straightness and to correct any 'pull' as I built the weld. I haven't got a picture of the welding and dressing as my camera and sparky grindy stuff don't mix.

Crucial bit was the welding though, Arc welded, slowly built-up, part vertical aspect with 29/9 rods. I've used these rods in industry on difficult steels and high stress rotating shafts and they produce very crack resistant and reliable joints.

Description
Description

Finished shafts completed with can/boot sets from Ford dealer - note two sizes of can available 1058426 (smaller) 1058427 (larger approx. 65mm across i/d of can)

Description
Description

trikerneil

posted on 13/4/13 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
I made shrink fit sleeves when I did mine. Then MIG'ed the whole lot up while it was still all hot.
Been OK for 8 years now, but then I'm only putting about 90 HP through them.

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.