Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What fits in the enginebay?
major

posted on 18/12/04 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
What fits in the enginebay?

I am currently looking for a kit and MK Indy seems to be the one. (not only based on this forum). But I want to equipe it with a BMW or an Audi/VW engine. There is a wide range available and I wonder which would fit? (4,6,8 cil)
Can somebody help me with this?

zetec

posted on 18/12/04 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Just about anything will fit. Of the options you quote the BMW 4 cyl is best suited as you will get a gearbox already fitted for rear wheel drive use. The 6cyl will fit but is is heavy unless the later m52 all alloy and long so might be a squeeze. The Audi units again will fiit but you will need to find a gearbox as most donor cars are front wheel drive. Anything is possible but take a look at the usual options from Ford/Vauxhall/Toyota or bike power as well. They will all supply as much reliable power as your BMW/Audi choice without some of the hassle.

Good luck whichever you go for.

scutter

posted on 18/12/04 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what gearbox mates to the audi engine, there must be one as Donkervoot use the engine to great effect in there cars.

Sorry again Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sebastiaan

posted on 18/12/04 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scutter
Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what gearbox mates to the audi engine, there must be one as Donkervoot use the engine to great effect in there cars.

Sorry again Dan.

Dan,

They use a type 9 with a bespoke bellhousing in the 150 and 180bhp models, and a T5 (cossie?) box in the 225bhp version.

AFAIK the type9's are fitted with stronger then stock internals though. I'd also guess the bellhousing would be extremely expensive from donkervoort (they charge 25K euro's for a speceframe!)

zilspeed

posted on 18/12/04 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Bear in mind that the BMW 4 cylinder motors you are looking at are more like slant engines than most others. A se7en has a peculiar arrangement that mean there is a strong possibility that the steering shaft might want to go just where the engine is because it is canted quite heavily to the right.
Not a problem if you're building a LHD car of course.
If it's still possible, look at the engine from the original M30 318is. Not the later cars. This engine was essentially a sleeved down version of the original 4 cylinder M3 motor. The 318is engine makes 140bhp as standard. The mods you will make to induction and exhaust to get it into a se7en have got to be taking it over 150bhp.

[Edited on 18/12/04 by zilspeed]

major

posted on 18/12/04 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
The chioce (BMW/Audi) was made, because if I ask most builders they more or less say "next time I go for more BHP". So I looked for standard engines around the 200 bhp and rear weel drive. BMW engines are well in supply, not expensive and reliable.
I am however open for other suggestions.

Marc

major

posted on 24/12/04 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
BMW 4 and 6 cil

All things considering a BMW would be the first option. preferably a 4 cil, a 6 might fit but is heavy unless u use a M52 or newer.
The M30 318is, is I think a M42. The M30 is a 6 cil. The indy will be a LHD so I don't have a problem with the steering?

marc

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 24/12/04 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
you sure we cant talk you into a bike engine? a nice hayabusa or blackbird engine will give you lots of power- and scary performance! Even blade/ R1s go well fast enough to scare you!
major

posted on 25/12/04 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Tried, but no experience in bike engines. Good bike engines are not easy to come by and expensive.

Marc

Hellfire

posted on 26/12/04 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by major
Tried, but no experience in bike engines. Good bike engines are not easy to come by and expensive.

Marc

When you're fed up following everyone else's BEC, then you decide to go BEC. Isn't that a more expensive route?

Whatever floats your boat...

andyps

posted on 26/12/04 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
BMW engines are well in supply, not expensive and reliable.
I am however open for other suggestions.

Marc

According to recent reports the reliability is suspect on some of them. Apparently lots of M3's have had replacement engines due to faults - can't remember in which car mag I read about it though.

[Edited on 26/12/04 by andyps]

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Baalzamon

posted on 1/1/05 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
If you are still interested in audi engines, there is a solution. At least for the old 5cil engines, and even the 4cil from the same years I think. The bell housing from volvo 240/740 diesel fit perfectly. The D28 diesel engine in old volvos was made by VW, and because of that the bellhousing fits audi engines. The gearbox is attached to the bellhousing by bolts and can easily be exchanged to someting smother. Maybe a getrag 262 or 265 from bmw? However, these bellhousings in not very common even in sweden, and I dont know if diesel volvos were ever sold in the UK. Good luck anyway, I like both BMW and audi engines.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.