Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front Uprights
ubrben

posted on 29/1/05 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Front Uprights

I have a nagging feeling that I might want to design a Locost-esque car as a cheap summer car. Scanning the forum most people seem to be using Cortina or converted Sierra uprights in the front suspension

My question is what other options are there for double wishbone setups? I have a feeling that various Hondas may have had double wishbone setups in the 90s. Has anyone tried/had success with non-Ford parts?

Ben

phelpsa

posted on 29/1/05 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Lada uprights have been tried, but good look finding some

The trouble is finding ones with the same PCD as the rears you want to use.

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
niceperson709

posted on 30/1/05 at 03:23 AM Reply With Quote
Look at Toyota Lite ace van and some other light vans mitubisshi L300 ect have suitable uprights , you can also use the toyota lite ace rear axel in a live axel build and it has a 4 : 1 ratio
best wishes
Iain

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

zetec

posted on 30/1/05 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
GT6/Spitfire are good as they are light and cheap. Spares are plentiful to cater for the classic/Caterham boys. Pretty sure you can also get hubs to allow Ford wheel PCD.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

Peteff

posted on 30/1/05 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
The trouble is finding ones with the same PCD as the rears you want to use.

Most don't carry a spare anyway so it doesn't matter that much. If you've just got the feeling I wouldn't worry too much about details yet, it'll be a long time before it translates into reality. You either get in there and do it or sit there and think about it. If you're designing as well as building it the summer will be long gone before you get anywhere near driving it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

britishtrident

posted on 30/1/05 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Honda FWD parts are totally unsuitable the upright is very long and the top ball joint is cantilevered out over the centre of the tyre tread.
Triumph uprights are suitable wheel PCD is not a problem it matches the Marina rear axle as used by Careham. The Triumph upright comes in several flavours - most Herald & Spitfire uprights are not much good as they restrict the brake options yhou csan fit Vitesse/GT6 are very suitable.

MikeR

posted on 30/1/05 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
has anyone looked at mgf's ? i haven't i just read recently that they where double wishbone suspension and wondered if they'd do!
Mark Allanson

posted on 30/1/05 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I know the MGF is just 2 metro's joined together with the engine at the back, just like Fiat did with 2 fiat 128's to make the X19

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

britishtrident

posted on 30/1/05 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
As far as I know the MGF is just 2 metro's joined together with the engine at the back, just like Fiat did with 2 fiat 128's to make the X19

Yes -- a couple of the latest type MGTF subframes with all suspension and brakes were on ebay last week . The picture showed the upright was just a Metro/Mini part with a dummy live stub axle in place of the CV like the 2wd Sierra.

pgpsmith

posted on 31/1/05 at 05:15 AM Reply With Quote
Do the GT6 uprights use lower ball joints or the trunnion setup as used (as I understand it) on the Spitfires?

I had dropped Spits from my short-list because I don't understand enough about the castor geometry issues involved with the trunnions. It seemed like a "get it right, or do it all over again" detail. (Not that I won't be doing that anyway.) Am I "fleeing where no one pursueth" here?

Also, does anyone know if the Hi Ace parts require redesigned bones / bracket locations? I've heard that the stub axel is quite a bit closer to the lower ball joint than on the Cortina.

Mr. Pete

Live and don't learn, that's us. - Calvin and Hobbes

britishtrident

posted on 31/1/05 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Triumphs use trunnions there is no caster issue the Triumph upright is more suitable for a light car than the Cortina equivalent --- Caterham, Lotus, TVR, Marcos, Brabham Mallock and many more made very good use of the Triumph part --- more correctly it is an Alford & Addler design which has beenin continuous production for 50 or more years.

[Edited on 31/1/05 by britishtrident]

NS Dev

posted on 31/1/05 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Don't forget that you can buy super light fabricated uprights (designed for autograssing as an alternative to Viva/Cortina ones) from GB Engineering, which take viva hubs, or use GB's own alloy hubs which can then take Ford wheels. The uprights can have either tapers or parallel holes top and bottom for rose joints or balljoints.

I can't remember the price, think it was £250 for a pair of uprights, with alloy hubs, bearings and brake discs.

MikeR

posted on 31/1/05 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Now he mentions it..............

still, i'm going to look into mgf's and see what they are like...........

any idea what the elise uses?

chunkielad

posted on 31/1/05 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
The elise uses BLOODY EXPENSIVE ones!!
Lotusmark2

posted on 31/1/05 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Don't forget that you can buy super light fabricated uprights (designed for autograssing as an alternative to Viva/Cortina ones) from GB Engineering, which take viva hubs, or use GB's own alloy hubs which can then take Ford wheels. The uprights can have either tapers or parallel holes top and bottom for rose joints or balljoints.

Do you have a linky for these people?

Mix

posted on 31/1/05 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Arn't the uprights on a Hyundi Stellar the same as Cortina ones?

Mick

NS Dev

posted on 31/1/05 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
good ol' british engineers (they are primarily an automotive toolmaking company) so no internet site, I'll post phone number tonight when I get home.
Peteff

posted on 31/1/05 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
These do a kit.
hub kit Bit dearer than £250 though. I think MNR were doing this kit at a decent price as well but I've not heard any more about it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

TL

posted on 31/1/05 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Ben,

I have a pair of GT6 uprights fitted with ally hubs (4 stud Ford) and new 266mm vented discs with refurbed GT6 calipers, inc new wheel bearings. They were tailored to fit some 14" Revolutions I have. A change of plans means that I am now not going to use them.
I also have some upper wishbones, but no lowers.
If you are interested, lot me know.

Cheers,

Terry

britishtrident

posted on 31/1/05 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mix
Arn't the uprights on a Hyundi Stellar the same as Cortina ones?

Mick

Yes except for the thread on the wheel bearing nut but when did you last see a rwd one of those

romkasponka

posted on 31/1/05 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Dont you want to use axle from golf rear suspension, or something like this...

The rest you can make by your self if you have welder.

In my country LADA uprights is very cheap (about 10Eur), but the brakes are poor...and so on...

[Edited on 31/1/05 by romkasponka]

pgpsmith

posted on 1/2/05 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
Tracked this down in my files - source unknown. This is what I meant by caster issues with the trunnion.

So, assuming that I can fab and weld the zig-zag piece accurately (BIG assumption), and assuming that 5 degrees of caster is the magic number, it should be superior to a cortina solution? Rescued attachment SPFRAARM.jpg
Rescued attachment SPFRAARM.jpg

Live and don't learn, that's us. - Calvin and Hobbes

grantmac

posted on 1/2/05 at 03:54 AM Reply With Quote
So a Hyundai is the same upright as a Cortina? This certainly opens up a lot more donors for use North American crowd. Just how hard would it be to convert to non-driven?
Grant

kiwirex

posted on 1/2/05 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by grantmac
So a Hyundai is the same upright as a Cortina? This certainly opens up a lot more donors for use North American crowd. Just how hard would it be to convert to non-driven?
Grant

Only the very early stellars.
Even then they changed the suspension to McPherson strut early on, with the original body shape.

I think finding an early stellar will be about as easy as finding a whole cortina...

Good luck though.

- Greg H

Mix

posted on 1/2/05 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Well at least it doubles your chances of finding uprights

Mick

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.