Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bent wishbone
Sanzomat

posted on 12/4/22 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
Bent wishbone

I don't suppose anyone has a spare MK Indy classic upper front wishbone, RHS, sitting around? I had an encounter with a tyre wall at Castle Combe yesterday and I've changed the shape of my wishbone a bit. Other than a split radiator and a messed up nosecone I think I may have come off fairly lightly but I'll be doing a few measurements to check the chassis is still straight!
nick205

posted on 12/4/22 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Certain it's only the upper wishbone you need?

I ask, because I had an accident in my MK Indy (classic) and the RHS lower wishbone came off damaged, upper OK. I'd double check your lower wishbone again to make certain it's OK and doesn't need replacing.

Sanzomat

posted on 12/4/22 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Good advice, thanks. As far as I can tell the bottom wishbone itself is okay. It looks like the weak point for the bottom one was the weld where the pick-up was mounted to the chassis as it's ripped the clevis right off and the chassis rail below seems pretty much unscathed with not much evidence of the weld having penetrated. I didn't build it, I'm just gradually finding the problems (or making them!).

I'll strip it all down and check before I buy all the bits to rebuild but as ever trying to do the repair at minimum cost!

nick205

posted on 12/4/22 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Happy to help.

In my case it was very ovious the lower wishbone was bent. It may not always be obvious though. Perhaps get a good straight edge on it to check along the lengths. Also make sure there's no damage/play in the end ball joint (mine were Maxi IIRC).

roadrunner

posted on 12/4/22 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Would this be a good opportunity to go rose jointed front end.
I know I will be tempted with this mod next winter.

nick205

posted on 12/4/22 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner

Had I kept my Indy I'd have upgraded to a Rose jointed front and rear end with adjustable toe on the rear end.

nick205

posted on 14/4/22 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner

Had I kept my Indy I'd have upgraded to a Rose jointed front and rear end with adjustable toe on the rear end.

Have to say this upgrade wouldn't have been a cheap or "in-season" upgrade. Part of a winter upgrade programme while I had the car off the road for a while. Would have involved having the shocks calibrated and the car set-up/corner weighted as well.

I should point out I never did any track time in the car, road only.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.